Cannot get wireless connection unless unprotected

By olufsen
Jan 7, 2006
  1. Hi all,

my story is the following:

PC1: Desktop - Win XP Pro (no SP) - wired to router
    PC2: Notebook Sony Vaio - Win XP Home SP2 - wireless to router
    Router: Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway

One day I have suddenly lost a wireless connection of PC2 to a router and I cannot get it back properly. (First of all I don’t understand why it even happened since it was working fine for months.)
    When I tried to repair the connection I was getting error message about limited connectivity due to missing IP address. Notebook was not able to get an IP address from DHCP server.
    I tried to assign IP address manualy and the connection was established, but internet sharing was not working. I read some stuff on this forum and learned that it could be related to an encryption of the wireless connection. So I disabled WEP encryption and the connection was re-established.

Question is: how can I get it work again with WEP encryption?

Please help.

Thank you

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

I assume you know the WEP password and they are set on both the router and the computer?

Are you using the Windows builtin wireless ability or some Sony-specific program? I have seen Linkys routers not being able to associate with non-Windows wireless utilities.

3. olufsen

olufsen TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the reply ...

I have set up password on router, but not on the notebook. There is only request for a network key. I have put the same as it is set up on the router, for example if the default transmit key is key 1, then I set the key 1 also on the notebook.

notebook is using standard windows utility to connect to wireless network.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.