TechSpot

Cannot install printer

By Bishop
Oct 24, 2005
  1. running xp home. have a hp deskjet 3600, every time i i try to install this printer, i point it to the location of the drivers, the drivers seem like they are installing, but then i get a message Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware. I ran adaware in regular and safe mode as well as AVG and nothing seems to help the issue. The PC is a Compaq Presario 5000 series. 5423 US. The printer is connected via USB. I delete the drivers previously installed, manually and with cleanspl.exe (rktools). Help is needed, thank you.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

the manual is usually sufficient to guide you. There are a couple of scenarios used
    to install new hardware so it's hard to be specific for your case:
    1. install the software before attaching the device
    2. attach the device and follow the prompts
    USB devices usually follow(1)

Which technique are you using?

3. Bishop

Bishop TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

thanks for the reply, i have tried that method. but it get to the point where it is installing the drivers then it says that it can be done, then the drivers roll back. when i got passed that point, the drivers installed (i think) then i would get a message saying that there was a problem installing the device.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.