Cannot Install Windows XP Updates

By almcneil
Jul 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techies,

I'm working on this customer's comp. He had bad spyware and I removed it all, did as XP repair installation and everything is working except the Windows Updates. They will download but not install. Every single one fails to install. I tried a few suggestions at the Microsoft KB but nothing is working.

As a note, I was able to download and install DirectX 9.0, IE 7 and Java 6.1. I just can't install any Windows XP updates!

Any suggestions?
  2. CLEMA42

CLEMA42 Newcomer, in training

Windows XP. I can download updates but am unable to install. Message that a problem prevents installation.
  3. sellmesanity

sellmesanity Newcomer, in training Posts: 268

You have to erase the catroot folder i believe
  4. almcneil

almcneil TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 1,554

I can now answer this! I figured out the solution to my original post where I was working on a customer's comp having this problem. In our case, there were a number of DLL (windows software librairies) that were not registered after an XP repair installation. Once we re-registered then, all the updates loaded! The windows KB article did list other possible causes but this one I have since encountered again.

Here's how you do it. Use the web based Windows update utility here When you reach the point where it issues an error, click on the link for the "troubleshooter". A new window appears and at the bottom it will list one or more links for resolutions. Go through them until you find the one that works. In the case where none of the updates install, you'll probably get he KB article I found that lists the DLLs that need to be re-registered.
  5. almcneil

almcneil TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 1,554

Found the KB Article!

Here's the Microsoft KB article I'm talking about: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Now here is the excert that has worked for me twice in the past week on customer's comps that had this problem.

Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services

To register .dll files that are associated with Cryptographic Services, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
    regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
    regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
    regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll
    exit
    Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Note Microsoft Windows 2000 does not include the Sccbase.dll file. If you are running a version of Windows 2000, omit the Sccbase.dll file.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

5. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
    exit
    Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Note Microsoft Windows 2000 does not include the Sccbase.dll file. If you are running a version of Windows 2000, omit the Sccbase.dll file.

6. Restart the computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.