Cannot Login into Domain Attached Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGGBoy

On this particular machnie I can log in as administrator to the domain, but when I login as myself to teh domain on that same computer, I get the following message: "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

i've deleted the computer from the domain, I've rejoined the computer to the domain, and still no luck. Any clues?

thanks
conrado

What type of domain is this?

Corp Domain
Small Business Domain
Home Domain

I take it you have setup Active Directory and is able to see the PC in AD right? You can setup permissions through Active Directory to be able to login to that PC. There should be a default Administrator for each PC, should be the same password.

Should you want to add say Tom Smith set up the user name as tsmith and give that user admin rights and add him to the administrator.

I don't know what type of infrastrusture you have setup there for your domain?

I Got that one to work but...

Okay I got that one computer to work by changing its name. But what I don't understand is why the old name didn't work. Was there an entry on the domain controller i left behind or something?

How did you remove the old PC off the domain? Did you use Active Directory? Make sure it's completely removed off the Domain. There might be traces of that old name still in use. I removed workstations daily then re-add or create new ones in one of many task I do, but again it's not really that hard to do once you get the hang of it.

Make sure under AD that you search for Users, Computers, etc.. or by Domain then search for the Computer you want to remove. Do it that way just to be sure nothings is there.

HI Tipster. Thanks for all your input. I remove the old compuer by right mouse clicking on the computer name in AD then selecting delete. I also go to the DNSmgmt screens and remove the IP address from the A Records and the reverse lookup tables, and I also remove the IP from the DHCP table. Could the old name be in cache or somethig?

Could be a duplicate name somewhere. I've seem this happen before. YOU could scope out the problem, but that could be time consuming. So if you can live without doing that you might be okay with what you have done.

Well when do you reboot the servers, so it doesn't impact your end users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back