Cannot open files in Powerpoint 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metesh

I am running Powerpoint 2007 and have a bunch of Powerpoint files saved in the 97-2003 Powerpoint format. I used to be able to open the presentations Powerpoint files in Powerpoint 2007 but whenever I try and do it now, I get the message: "Powerpoint can't read [filename.ppt]"

If I click the "Show Help" button, it reads:

"The presentation cannot be opened. Your antivirus program may prevent you from opening the presentation. To fix this problem, make sure your antivirus program is current and working correctly. If the problem persists and the presentation is from someone that you trust, turn off your antivirus program, and then try to open the presentation again. If you do this, make sure you turn on your antivirus program again after you open the presentation."

I would really appreciate some help here. I don't know why the Powerpoint files worked in Powerpoint 2007 in the past, but can't be opened in it now. I have uninstalled Office 2007, and reinstalled it, but still get the same problem. It happens also when I turn off AVG, Spybot S&D, SUPER Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes' AntiMalware.

Thanks.

It could be the Anti-malware programs that I used did something odd to the Powerpoint files, I'm not sure. I've tried to uninstall Office 2007 but now the uninstall does not complete.

Anyway, I've decided to transfer all my important files from C to D (secondary hard drive) and then reinstall Windows. Hopefully that should fix it, I'll let you know.

dude, download the microsoft office compatibility pack for office 2003. fix things in a jiffy

Thing is, I unistalled Office 2007 and now when I try and re-install it says that an error was encountered in setup. So I can't actually install Powerpoint for the Microsoft Compatibility Pack to work...

we've found that problems can arise if you uninstall office without unistalling the compatability pack. uninstall and reinstall both.

Just to let you all know, I reinstalled Windows from CD and I am now able to open Powerpoint files without any problems. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back