cannot read memory, black lines, and crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So system is a few weeks old, from the start I occasionaly recieved "Error ATI BIOS cannot read from memory ..." but the computer would continue running. Then, I start to get these blacks lines on my screen and the screen is illegible, and it locks up whenever these two occur together. What confuses me is that 1 out 5 times, the system will boot perfectly and there are no problems. So to test things and locate problem I tried different monitor, nothing; tried using a DVI to VGA adapter to check port, nothing; then I try another PCIe card, and it works! So, I put my card back in, problems again. So I do what ATI says, I update the motherboard BIOS, and update Windows, uninstall all ATI software, then reinstall with newest software from ATI Site; and to no avail. But now my Norton anti virus crashed and the message says to uninstall and reinstall anti-virus. (system unstable, or software conflicts?)

My friend checked out the Device manager and saw that I had some flaws in drivers for my PCI slots, he updated those and still, black lines and cannot read memory.
Is the card shot? or is there a software issue? or is there a hardware issue? Tonight I will use an eraser to clean the memory sticks. I also enclosed a txt file that ATI problem report created, maybe it will help. I will aslo run a memtest tonight, along with a System Information test to give best details of problem for anyone who is willing to help.

Thanks in advance, rollingover22

then I try another PCIe card, and it works! So, I put my card back in, problems again.
this would have been a great givaway.. send it back for a RMA asap since you did everything else to fix it..

system specs would be nice.. and since it relates to memory you might want to run Memtest86 (google it) and let it pass 10 times (may take a while)

your second unfortunate mistake would have been installing Norton AV.. i have sympathy for you :p..
The thing i might point wiht NAV is that its a hit and miss thing with pcs.. and while it is a great program (when it works that is.. it usualy means a system with nothing else installed but the OS and drivers and a few bits peices...) its just plain waste of 500mb or so on your hdd that has a tendency to crash things while/during/after you install it.
Having said that there are other freeware and payware that does the same job, simpler to operate and better at it.

forgot to mention.. just change ur vid card and then cross your fingers and hope NAV has no problems afterwards..

Thank you-no more NAV

It is interesting, I always thought that NAV and Norton SW was essential, or McAfee, but after reading replies hear, and talking to a techie friend, I was wrong.

So I am going to run the "memtest86+" tonight, and see whats up. I am also going to clean the memory sticks, and then, for fun, I am going to remove all Norton products.

I will give this a shot, and see. If nothing is better by Friday or Saturday, I will RMA ATI. I just hope they respond to RMA's faster then they respond to help requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back