Cannot see Content.IE5 in Temporary Internet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatologist

Internet Explorer:

I download a file (auto download to temp location) and once it's downloaded i get an error msg saying that it cant open it... cant find it actually....

on further inspection, it turns out that i cant view the Content.IE5 folder that's situated under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

any idea how i can go about making these visable? I've tried all the obvious rubbish.... like folder options, view, blah blah....

any help appreciated......

Why dont you just do the download again, and click save, and choose a different directory?

Or if your deadly serious about getting it from the temp, then go to, Tools, Internet Options. On the first page you are greeted with, choose Settings under the Temporary Internet Files section, and click View Files. See if that works.

Or download Firefox, if this problem is consistant http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/

TheFighter

Cant choose a different directory as it's a download button embedded in the page... so no option to right click.

Clicking View Files is just a shortcut to the folder..... no different to going there manually through explorer.

I use Firefox at home, which is sweet. But this in on a machine at work....and Firefox is not a supported app and cannot be installed.

thanks for trying...

any ideas anyone ?

meatologist said:
i cant view the Content.IE5 folder that's situated under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

any idea how i can go about making these visable? I've tried all the obvious rubbish.... like folder options, view, blah blah....

any help appreciated......

Open Command Prompt, then type attrib -h -s /D /S "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

Then you should see them in Windows Explorer.

But I'm not sure if that's the problem here. If I remember correctly, the downloaded files go by default to My Documents.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested, but it didnt work.

It started but then said "Not Resetting" .. strangely, if i go into explorer and type the full path of where Content.IE5 is located, it opens ? but i cant view it from the parent folder....

MICROSHAFT.

any ideas ?

Hey,
Well it happened with me also...All I did was was copy the address 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\content.IE5' in the address bar of windows explorer,press enter and it showed me the content.IE5 directory.

Well I have win XP and I think I did this after making sure I have the option of viewing the hidden files set. I am not a techie...but if it works on my pC why it shouldnt work on yours???

Let me know if it helps.

can't find Temporary Internet Files/Folders

Recently, I was going to save a pdf file and when I clicked on Save As, the Save As window popped up. In the Save In bar, it showed a folder titled 3H1J5BB2. Just now, I tried to do the Save As again, and another folder comes up: SX7JDX2W. I clicked on the right button to put the file in a different place, and did the save. When I saved the file, I wanted to clean out the folder that was shown in the Save In bar, and I couldn't find the folder. When I clicked on the right button, it showed that the folder was in the Content.IE5 folder, and I couldn't find that either. I did a Search and can't find either folders. Where the heck are these folders? I've looked for these type of folders on my desktop at home, and I can find them. But they just don't seem to be anywhere in my notebook. Anybody got any hints?

I found a thread on this board, that showed a guy that typed this into his address bar, and he said that he found the Content.IE5 folders. But I did it, and nothing showed up. So I'm totally scratching my head.

Dane

meatologist - on a PC at work you are probably prevented from seeing such files by an administrator lockout. You could try disconnecting your PC from the network before booting, see if it makes any difference, but really, you should not do so.

meatologist - on a PC at work you are probably prevented from seeing such files by an administrator lockout. You could try disconnecting your PC from the network before booting, see if it makes any difference, but really, you should not do so.

I AM the administrator, so I have complete availability to find anything. I've made sure that the folders are all shown, but those still aren't there.

Dane

lols, I havent logged on here in about 2 years! I just randomly got this telling me a post has been replied to, and that dates back to 2years!

Annnnnnnnyways, Content.IE5 is just a bit of old junk that used to hang around when IE5 was there (obviously). Nowadays its just your Temporary Internet Files (I will abbreviate to TIF).

As far as I've ever understood it (btw, it never messes up for me) if you do as I quoted below years ago

Go to, Tools, Internet Options. On the first page you are greeted with, choose Settings under the Temporary Internet Files section, and click View Files

This shows you all of the Content.IE5 folders and their contents, but it just kinda summarises as under TIF. To be honest, you will not often need to go crawling through the Content.IE5 folders.

If you are having troubles with them, just clear your TIF using 'Delete Browsing History' (I'm presuming you have IE7, but then again, the problem should only be in IE6, clarify?)

P.S. Just had a quick look......Here is where your TIF Folders are (using C: as my Windows Directory HDD):

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

AND

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_NAME\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

My Content.IE5 is empty, because im on IE7, I therefore conclude that you have IE6. Get IE7, clear your browsing cookies and temps and the problem should disppear :)

Have a nice day, see you in 2 more years :D

TheFighter

I AM the administrator, so I have complete availability to find anything. I've made sure that the folders are all shown, but those still aren't there.

Dane

Content.IE5 is used by IE5, IE6 and IE7.

To view it make sure that you are viewing hidden and system files (Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders)

Open an explorer window and browse your profile, something like:

c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet settings\

You usually can't see your own Content.IE5 folder, so just type in Content.IE5 at the end of the location in the address bar.

In there will be folders with random names, like you mentioned in your other post.

If you are still having trouble finding the folder, I can't imagine why you would - but browse the C$ from another machine on the network and you should definitely see it.

**Pressing "Delete Files" via IE Tools>Options doesn't delete these folders. It only deletes what's in Temporary Internet Files.

Anywho - I'm assuming this is WinXPSP2 and IE6 or IE7.

Content.IE5 is used by IE5, IE6 and IE7.

To view it make sure that you are viewing hidden and system files (Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders)

Open an explorer window and browse your profile, something like:

c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet settings\

You usually can't see your own Content.IE5 folder, so just type in Content.IE5 at the end of the location in the address bar.

In there will be folders with random names, like you mentioned in your other post.

If you are still having trouble finding the folder, I can't imagine why you would - but browse the C$ from another machine on the network and you should definitely see it.

**Pressing "Delete Files" via IE Tools>Options doesn't delete these folders. It only deletes what's in Temporary Internet Files.

Anywho - I'm assuming this is WinXPSP2 and IE6 or IE7.

First off, I never use IE7 unless the Web page won't work on Firefox.

I already have the Folder Option set to see them.

I tried to go to C:\ and typed C:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet settings and it gave me an error message that Windows cannot find C:\documents and settings\Adminstrator\local settings\temporary internet settings. Check the spelling and try again and blah, blah, blah.

What's C$? This computer isn't attached to a network.

I've done a Search for Content.IE5 and nothing comes up.

I typed the Content.IE5 at the end of the address bar, and it gave me the same error message with Content.IE5 at the end.

Dane

still can't find Content.IE5

Still trying to find Content.IE5 but can't find this folder. I can find Temporary Internet Files, but can't find the number or the IE5 folders. Anybody have any clues?

Dane

Hold on. Let me get this straight.

You saved a PDF and it went to a folder called 3H1J5BB2.

You couldn't find that folder, so you saved it again and it went to a folde called SX7JDX2W.

You then tried to clean these folders, but couldn't find either of them. Correct?

Based on that being correct:

Which browser were you using at the time? I would have guessed it was IE as Firefox doesn't use these stupid naming conventions.

Unless specified by you, Firefox cache is stored here:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\Cache

Just search for that manually, as randonname.default won't work!

And IE cache is stored here:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

To double check this location open IE, go to Tools>Internet Options

Click Settings Under browsing history
Click View Files

That will take you to your IE temp int files.

Then in the address bar you'll have the location of the temp int files, as above mine is:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

So to find the Content.IE5 folder, I have to manually type it:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Then I can see all the random folder names.

Other than the above, I'm not quite sure what else you can do to find the folders.

Can you confirm OS and Web Browser you are using?

I just found another post I wrote on this: https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-38987-Where-are-my-downloads-hidden.html

Yes, what you're showing of those "folders", is correct.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I don't use IE7 unless a Web page I'm going to won't work on Firefox. I ALWAYS use Firefox. But those "strange number" folders are showing up.

The notebook I'm working on, uses Window XP Pro and and I use Firefox 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for the reply.

Dane

OK. I get it. You use Firefox.

The stupid folder names came up when you were downloading a file using Firefox.

Did you check the folder location i mentioned for Firefox cache?

If you don't answer the points in the post, it makes it pretty difficult to help!

Try downloading the Firefox cache viewer (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2489)

That will show you everything that's in your Firefox cache directory.

Check this post: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files and take a look at changing your download location.

Change it to a folder on your desktop and then go download the same file you downloaded before. See if the stupid folder names are created in the folder you have created on your desktop.

It's quite possible that the folders were temporary swap folders that were removed once the download completed. But for some reason Firefox didn't dump the entire downloaded file to the actual download location.

Let me know how you get on.

Meatologist,

I tried to type in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\Cache and I got an error message that said that Windows cannot find that address and Check spelling and try again and blah, blah, etc. I also tried to change the %username%Local Settingst to Administrator\Local Settings and it gave me the same message. It won't go there.

When I open up IE7 and go to the tools, Internet Options and View Files, I am able to find the internet files. But if I type the Content.IE5 at the end of the address and click on enter, I get a blank window instead of random folders.

The random folder names came up when I had the pdf file showing in an Adobe Acrobat 6 page and when I tried to Save As the file, the Save In folder, came up with the number/letter folders I typed in the earlier post.

Yes, I tried to find the folders using the Firefox Cache, and I got that error message I mentioned above.

I've downloaded the Cache viewer, but I've got to close Firefox to reload it.

Dane

Here's where I found the IE5 file folder:

I was able to save the file in the proper folder, but I was still seeing that IE5 folder and I can't find them in my computer to eliminate the files in the folder.

Dane

Meatologist,

I tried to type in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\Cache and I got an error message that said that Windows cannot find that address and Check spelling and try again and blah, blah, etc. I also tried to change the %username%Local Settingst to Administrator\Local Settings and it gave me the same message. It won't go there.

Dane

Can you browse to that location via Windows Explorer, rather than trying to type it in?

Take a look at this: http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/122.html

I have no idea where this thread is going :confused:

Why are you trying to find temporary folders in Start->Run->%appdata%
Who cares!

Just run CCleaner
Then next time you download , select Desktop as the location

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that these folders were in Start->Run->%temp% (gone or not, just run CCleaner)

Temp folders are temporary (not always) but CCleaner should remove most of them ;)

I have no idea where this thread is going :confused:

Why are you trying to find temporary folders in Start->Run->%appdata%
Who cares!

Just run CCleaner
Then next time you download , select Desktop as the location

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that these folders were in Start->Run->%temp% (gone or not, just run CCleaner)

Temp folders are temporary (not always) but CCleaner should remove most of them ;)

I can find the Temporary Internet Files on the computer, but when I go to save a pdf file in Adobe Acrobat, I'm finding IE5 folders. And when I try to search for the IE5 folders, they don't seem to exist. But when I have Adobe Acrobat open, showing a file, and click on Save As, then an IE5 folder shows up. And I don't ever use IE. Here's a screen shot of one of these:

If I go to the C:\ and type in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and then hit Enter, this is what I see:

So this is having me scratching my head. When I try to save the pdf file, where the heck are those IE5 folders coming from?

If I go to that "place" on my desktop at home, I find the IE5 folders, but in this notebook, those folders aren't coming up.

Dane

Well I said "pretty sure"

Try this location instead, with Adobe Save As box opened

Start->Run->%userprofile%\local settings\temporary internet files

Actually you can delete everything in temporary internet files, by running this line:
Start->Run->RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back