CanoScan Lide 500F driver problem

Hello,

I have an issue with my CanoScan Lide 500F scanner. I have viewed a similar question that was posted in 2008 and followed the advice given there, to no avail.

I have used this scanner with this computer (a Fujitsu FMV-Biblo NF/G50 running Windows 7) successfully (the last time I used it was in May this year). However today when I tried to use it, the ScanGear Starter wouldn't open when I double clicked on it. I have tried uninstalling the driver and then re-downloading (ScanGear CS 11.220a) the latest driver. I have also tried downloading and installing the Canon Toolbox (version 4.9.3.2). I still can't get the scanner to work.

When I go to the control panel and find the scanner, the computer has registered that it's connected, but says it needs an appropriate WIA driver to run it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Let me start by saying I'm not 100% sure about all this, but here's a guess or at least something to try

First, there's two different types of scanner drivers WIA and TWAIN (also see here)
> WIA is Windows Image Acquisition a newer standard
> TWAIN was the old standard

When i look at the Cannon support/download site for the driver you mention i see it listed as
Code:
TWAIN Driver - LiDE 500F Scanner Driver Ver. 11.2.2.0a_xp (Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000)

Notice it's listed as a TWAIN driver!

So... one thing that comes to mind: Check your scanner tool options/settings to see if it let's you choose the type of scanner driver to use. If so, be sure it's set to TWAIN

Also, do you happen to have MS Office installed as when i scan directly into Word, i know it gives me the option to choose WIA or TWAIN.

Hope this info might help

/* edit */
btw.. My guess is all of this maybe meaning: You have an older scanner that's not fully WIA compliant so it requires you tell it to use a TWAIN driver to work

Back