Can't boot after updating to Win 8.1

Will_m

Hi everyone, so disaster has finally struck, I decided to update to win 8.1 pro 64 from win 8 pro 64 today and upon restarting the system goes through the bios then to an orange screen with vertical white lines on it, if I then press enter it shows the windows logo and then goes to a blue screen with an error of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and then it restarts and does it all again.

I've basically spent the week getting this new system all installed and ready and was about half an hour away from completion and creating a disk image when this happens so an help at all would be incredibly helpful.

I was really hoping to not have to do a clean install as its taken ages to install everything and get it set-up how I wanted it.

Correct. As a last resort I'll have to do a clean install but if its possible to repair the system or even discover the cause of the error I'd like to try.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and there is a "recovery" feature available. Go to PC Settings, Update & Recovery, Recovery.
1. Refresh your PC without affecting your files
2. Remove everything and reinstall Windows
3. Advanced start up

I would choose #2

Last edited:
Using the refresh your PC option results in the message, "the drive where windows is installed is locked, unlock the drive and try again.

What about using Option #2?

Please note: I have not used any of these options... Is the hard drive set as AHCI in the bios? Is the hard drive SSD or a standard SATA drive?

Yes the hard drive is set to AHCI mode, I believe this is what it has always been, it is an SSD drive.

Go command
cd %windir%\system32\config
ren system system.001
ren software software.001

before that

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec

Back