Cant configure my wireless router/access point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an *****, i was messing around with my routers settings, and i accidentally clicked"use as an access point". now the dhcp server is turned off and when i use it to connect with my laptop through wireless, i get the WAN ip instead of the LAN ip. and i do not know how to get into the settings. I have reset the router many many times, and i hjave tried entering the WAN ip into IE7 and i get a msn search error or w/e. I* have a cheap Belkin F5D7230-4. and im hoping that i do not have to buy a new router :(

Hi,

Check out "Portforward.com" they have guides for using/accessing most routers, including forgotten passwords etc.

Regards, Ellgor.

use the smal RESET button on the back to return the device to the original
settings and just start over :)

jobeard said:
use the smal RESET button on the back to return the device to the original
settings and just start over :)

as i stated in my post "i have reset the router many times", i meant i have pressed that button and reset it many many times and it did not work :/

Ellgor said:
Hi,

Check out "Portforward.com" they have guides for using/accessing most routers, including forgotten passwords etc.

Regards, Ellgor.

yeah i tried it but i could not find ne1 with as much stupidity as i :/, i think i am screwed.. :'(

kevin62492 said:
as i stated in my post "i have reset the router many times", i meant i have pressed that button and reset it many many times and it did not work :/
That button is not the fix-it button, but allows you to access the device
using the documented URL and settings -- ie, you start over :)

in your browser, you enter the default IP address, eg 192.168.2.1 and then

enter the user/passwd

Are you saying that even this doesn't work?

firmware update

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&aid=5027

Restore the firmware for the router.

You have not given any information about what functions still work. If this works it should restore all functions. Consult your manual for methods to accomplish the firmware update. It appears that the firmware is saved to a file on the computer; the update mechanism uses the saved file.

rf6647 said:
http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&aid=5027

Restore the firmware for the router.

You have not given any information about what functions still work. If this works it should restore all functions. Consult your manual for methods to accomplish the firmware update. It appears that the firmware is saved to a file on the computer; the update mechanism uses the saved file.

i cannot get into any settings, since the dhcp server is turned off i do not know what ip to type to get into its settings, i have looked at the gateway for the wireless connection and it gives me the WAN gateway, like the router is invisible. :(

back to basics

Wireless access to configure the router may not be enabled. I suggest that you make an ethernet connection. Your properties for the tcp/ip settings for this connection should accept automatic ip addressing, as well as, dns automatic addressing.

All the following commands are entered in the command prompt window.

ipconfig /all --- apparently this does not give up the dhcp / gateway info you are seeking.

arp -a -------- look for 192.168.x.y
tracert www.yahoo.com -------- look for 192.168.x.y at start
netstat -r ----- first entry in the table

tracert (traceroute) may fail if there is no connectivity beyond the router. Any of these commands should give up the gateway ip for the router.

Try commands in both environments (wireless, wired) and perhaps this may reveal more info about the problem.

rf6647 said:
Wireless access to configure the router may not be enabled. I suggest that you make an ethernet connection. Your properties for the tcp/ip settings for this connection should accept automatic ip addressing, as well as, dns automatic addressing.

All the following commands are entered in the command prompt window.

ipconfig /all --- apparently this does not give up the dhcp / gateway info you are seeking.

arp -a -------- look for 192.168.x.y
tracert www.yahoo.com -------- look for 192.168.x.y at start
netstat -r ----- first entry in the table

tracert (traceroute) may fail if there is no connectivity beyond the router. Any of these commands should give up the gateway ip for the router.

Try commands in both environments (wireless, wired) and perhaps this may reveal more info about the problem.

im sry but ethernet does not work(just tries to acquire a network adress fer ever) and none of those commands has revealed any 192.168.2.x number, ll the numbers are assigned from my isp. ty fer trying tho

another tack

Access point default ip = 192.168.2.254.
Configure computer's tcp/ip as a static ip = 192.168.2.234
Make ethernet connection from the computer to the access point (router)
Use a browser to address 192.168.2.254

If this fails, you could try to ping all 255 addresses in this subnet (192.168.2.{1-255}). Your computer will respond as 234.

i gave up

i took the easy way out and i bought a new wired router and im going to just use the access point as, well as a wireless access point. thanks fer all the hel;p neways

solved

With the router powered on, press and hold the reset button for exactly
seven seconds, this will restore the router to factory default.

Note: By default the password on the router is left blank, and the
default IP address is 192.168.2.1

belkin router is not working too!

Hello! Glad I am not the only one with a dodgy belkin router. My ip address has changed to 210....... instead of the usual 192.168.2.1 due to DHCP. However, with this 210 address, I could not access the belkin default gateway. Please help..... I tried using a static ip address with the correct settings but it still won't open any webpages. Thanks

j/w for now

have u tried the restet button on the back of the router? just wondering, trying to rule out some possible simple fixes

belkin ip address problems

I have reset the router but the ip address won't change back to 192.168......
This is killing me!

LOL

kevin62492 said:
I am an *****, i was messing around with my routers settings, and i accidentally clicked"use as an access point". now the dhcp server is turned off and when i use it to connect with my laptop through wireless, i get the WAN ip instead of the LAN ip. and i do not know how to get into the settings. I have reset the router many many times, and i hjave tried entering the WAN ip into IE7 and i get a msn search error or w/e. I* have a cheap Belkin F5D7230-4. and im hoping that i do not have to buy a new router :(

Don't know where you at right now... But when I had this Router you need to turn on the Power and press the reset button at the same time. Count slowly to 30 then release it the reset. Then unplug the power cord and repeat the process without any power going into the router. This might sound strange but there seems to be a bug in the chipset with the Belkin Routers. I got rid of mine and gone with Buffalo Wireless Router/Access Points, you don't have these kinds of crazy problems.

refresh / reload firmware

With a different brand for a different problem, I used the available utility to update the router's firmware. The re-burn of the load corrected the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back