Can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

marygg

I'm not sure if this is a browser hijack or not. Cannot connect to internet through Internet Explorer but I was able to download updates for Spybot. The IP settings look ok. I was able to run spybot and adaware because they were on the computer but I can't get IE to work. Spybot found win32.agent.ao a trojan and smitfraud-c.gp a malware.

2nd problem: Windows Installer pops up before the computer completes any action. Windows installer tries to install: \\qa-6\whistlerOPK\apps\Money2002\
I must click cancel twice to close it. This happens twice before it will open a program or a window. When I go to c:\windows the installer folder is empty.

Can someone help me get access to the internet so I can download and run the cleanup tools.

Thanks.

Well, it seems you have an open internet connection if you're able to update things...

So the underlying problem must be IE.

When's the last time it worked?

-Try System Restore
-Try Uninstalling / Re-Installing Internet Explorer
-Post a HijackThis Log

I can't get to system restore. How do I reinstall IE or post a HJT without a connection? I did a "last know good" and it went back to august 2006. I can now get to system restore but there are no restore points between august 06 and sept 1 08. I need to undo "the last know good" to recover files. Any help? Please.

You Should reset ie to it's default settings.
Tools > Internet Options > Advance Tab > then click reset.
That should work and is a lot easier than Rolling back Ie then reinstalling.

The problem must have been the OS because it completely crashed yesterday. I had to restore it. I slaved the hard drive to my computer and backed it up on an external hdd. Thanks to all of you for your help! This thread is complete.

I can't get to system restore. How do I reinstall IE or post a HJT without a connection? I did a "last know good" and it went back to august 2006. I can now get to system restore but there are no restore points between august 06 and sept 1 08. I need to undo "the last know good" to recover files. Any help? Please.

U dont need to restore anything , folow my link y gave u and read instructions . U might need your windows CD to get required files . If those commands u will enter not work automaticaly tou will need insert cd and find required files manualy .
That link helped me a lot.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

I prefer this one for IE issues, but plaitne please don't use so many abbreviations to actual words when supporting, it breaks the flow of your response.

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back