TechSpot

Can't connect windows xp profesional to domain

By Amer
Jan 31, 2005
  1. I'm using Windows 2000 Server (as a PDC and the only domain controller) on my network. I have Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro clients.

When I log on to the domain with a XP client all the network shares (and printers) work OK for a certain amount of time (I don't know exactly how long 2min-5min) but after that they stop working. If I try to connect to a network share I get this error message:

The system detected a possible compromise in security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you.

If I log out and then log in again, everything works again. I don't have any problems with NT and 2000 clients and the domain server itself is available all the time.

Any ideas? Thx in advance,

Amer

2. cybersleeper

cybersleeper TS Rookie

when that happens can you ping the server?

3. Amer

Amer TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes I can ping the server.

4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

something about xp security in services you have to disable
    MS web site has all the info on fixing these issues
    First xp wants to be the controller
    I run a server on one of my machines ,did not set it up as domain
    set up like work group too many bugs between OS's

5. Amer

Amer TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have checked Microsoft web site but I can’t find any solution to fix this problem.

6. cybersleeper

cybersleeper TS Rookie

check your log files to see what the system is doing at the time when it will not connect on the server and client

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

are you connecting as admin or user or ?
    sounds like your privileges are timing out
    check out MS for info on increasing time
    check your services running on the XP and the W2K server
    I have had collisions between these 2 systems the XP has security settings that need to be addressed
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/askus/au072400.mspx
    I am going to try and setup a read cd on my server with a W2K server training CD
    will post link here

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.