Can't connect wirelessly

I have a BT Homehub. I have had my Desktop connected via cable for a while now and I also have a laptop connected wirelessly. I have recently moved the desktop and so want to use it wirelessly. The desktop picks up BT FON wirelessly ok so I know it is working properly but it does not find my BT Homehub. I have not had any sense from BT and I am a computer novice so if you can help please DO treat me like an *****. It is driving me mad!
Can anyone help me?

Sorry, The lap top is Dell and is Windows 7 Home Premium. This picks up the signal and is working fine - it was easy to set up following the instructions and I have not had any trouble at all with connection.
The Desktop is a HP and is Windows XP. I had trouble setting it up wirelessly originally but because it was next to the BT Homehub I just connect it with wires. I have now moved things around, as you do, and it is no longer in reach of the hub.

Yes, as I mentioned it picks up other wireless networks and connects to them but it does not find my BT Homehub. I have set up the connection manually and it still won't connect. It says the wireless signal is not broadcasting but my laptop finds it without a problem. It is in the same room and the signal strength on the laptop in the same position is very strong.

"It says the wireless signal is not broadcasting but my laptop finds it without a problem. It is in the same room and the signal strength on the laptop in the same position is very strong"...
Then you will have to change out the desktops wireless adapter with another

When you say 'change out the desktop wireless adaptor' do you mean replace it for a new one?

If so, why? It is picking up all other wireless connections in the area and allows me to connect to them without problem. It just doesn't see my BT Homehub signal. I know the Homehub is working fine because I can pick up the signal fine on my laptop and another desktop.

I do not understand why I need to replace the wireless adaptor! If I have mis-understood can someone explain what 'change out' means? Sorry for my ignorance, I am just a woman that works on computers but doesn't undertand them!

"change out" means swap or replace... It is possible that a setting in the desktops wireless adapter is wrong for the BT to connect. It could be something like 801.XXX or something like that needs to be disabled in the Wireless advanced settings of the desktop. Another wireless adapter may work fine without having to mess with the settings in XP

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Whilst I appreciate your advice I don't understand why I need to go to the trouble and expense of replacing a device that seems to work fine. I am sure it would be easier to change a setting to allow it to pick up the signal rather than take the machine to a repair man to change the wireless adaptor that doesn't appear to be broken! Am I missing something?

Has any one else got any ideas on how to change the settings on the system so it can 'see' my BT Homehub?

I am completely confused!

" It could be something like 801.XXX or something like that needs to be disabled in the Wireless advanced settings of the desktop adapter"...

I know you don't understand this, so why not take the desktop to someone that does understand, and is able to check the adapters settings

Tmagic - so sorry - my error - I thought this was a site that helped people to do things they couldn't do themselves. I may not understand computers but I am not stupid and can follow instructions. Take it to a repair man is not what I expected to hear! Especially as nothing needs repairing, it is obviously a setting issue

Thank you for your time but perhaps someone else who has a little more patience can help me?

Thanks for the link. I have the older Homehub 2.0. I really do not think the Hub is the problem, nor do I think it is the desktop. Both work fine with other equipment. I am sure it is a setting issue that needs to be resolved to allow the desktop to 'see' the Homehub. I was hoping someone could tell me what settings may need to be changed and how.

Here's a couple pot shot things to try (if you really believe the computer should be within signal range of the hub)

> Try turning the BT Hub off, wait 30 secs, back on
> Here's another BT link to look at THIS link
> Open device manager, find the Wireless adapter under Networks, click Update driver let Windows check for a newer driver

You've already called BT Help Desk??

Back