Can't figure out what video card I need

Status
Not open for further replies.

kait20066`

Hi, I have been trying for hours to figure out what video card if any, can be supported by my system . I am trying to be able to play Fable:The Lost Chapters, but I keep getting a error message as follows:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

The system requirements for the game say you need a 64 MB shader capable 3D card, and I am pretty sure the Compaq has no where near anything like that, but I am not even sure if I put a better video card in it if the system would support it or not, I am not even sure if you can put a video card in the compaq.

It's a Compaq Presario, 5BW131 5000 Series
Intel Pentium 3 Processor
996 MHZ, 384 MB of RAM
Windows XP Home Edition (Version 2) Service Pack 2

I'm not sure what other information may be needed, but I can post more if neccesary, any help would deeply appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts, I just want to play my game LOL. Thanks in advance!

The GeForce one seems to be what I need I think. I know the game requires DirectX 9 to run it, which the other one you listed only had DirectX 8 . Does it have shader capabilities, I have no clue what it is? Also, how do I know if my computer has the correct power to run it, I have read on-line at some places that in order to use a certain video card, you have to have a certain watt power or something, or it will cause problems. So how do I find out if my computer can handle the card or not? Thanks for your help.

The Chaintech G-Force is DX9 compatible. Go with it. Don't worry about the power either. If you want to upgrade your video to be able to play the newer games, this is one of your only options with your current weak system. I think you will be happy with this card

Tmagic650 said:
The Chaintech G-Force is DX9 compatible. Go with it. Don't worry about the power either. If you want to upgrade your video to be able to play the newer games, this is one of your only options with your current weak system. I think you will be happy with this card

Ok thank you so much...but it won't like burn out my system or anything will it?

I just installed one of these in an HP about the same specs as your Compaq and it works fine... Good luck

Okay, thanks again! I'm glad I found a place that finally has nice people that respond to you. I will recommend this place to all of my friends!!!

I am looking around to find the best possible deal on a video card. Is any video card that is PCI okay? Or will only certain one's of them work in my comp, or do I just need to make sure it is a PCI one with DirectX9 and 64 of memory, and is there a certain number memory interface bit I need or no. Sorry I am new at shopping around for cards, I can take a computer apart and put it back together piece by piece but I can't figure out what video card I need LOL. Thanks again so so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back