Can't get a signal out of VGA ports on motherboard or video card

By Tigeris
Mar 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A couple of years ago I built my parents a simple desktop for email and web. One of my friends had an extra video card laying around that I threw in because why not. Recently I got a call from them that one of the fans was making a strained noise. I should have told them to discontinue use, because a short while later I got a call saying it wouldn't boot.

When the power button is pressed, the machine gives all the signs of booting - lights come on, both fans on the motherboard and the video card start running (turns out it's the video card fan that was making the noise - it's still strained). However, no signal is sent to the monitor.

Things I've done:
    • Made sure all connections inside are secure
    • Removed the video card and attached VGA cable to motherboard output.
    • Confirmed that the cable and monitor work properly
    • Checked the motherboard for signs of being fried (burn marks, damaged capacitors). I didn't find any obvious damage.

Here things go beyond my experience and I could really use help. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

From what you have done, the motherboard has died...
  3. Tigeris

Tigeris Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I figured as much but wanted to make sure before shelling out for a new one. Thanks.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Good luck :)
  5. Ziad

Ziad Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

"•Removed the video card and attached VGA cable to motherboard output."
    Either you have a built in VGA or from the CPU
    Same thing happened to me a long time ago.

In my case, I forgot to change the setting in the BIOS to use the internal video adapter.
    What's your M.B??

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.