Can't get online without USB wi fi

learninmypc

I've been trying for over 6 hours to get a friends was (W8/W10) HP ENVY Touchsmart Ultrabook online but no way. Plug in the USB & I'm online. I even took it to the modem/router but no success.
Left clicking on the notification area wifi icon it also shows the airplane mode which is turned off. I click on connect but it won't. I've gone thru many threads on the subject in here but nothing. :confused:
Please be patient, I'm new to touch screen although I'm using a mouse.

1) Look under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\Properties for any kind of hook or tunneling items and remove the check mark. 2) scan for malicious software. 3) Go under device manager and uninstall the wifi/network device leaving the drivers installed, then restart the system.

1) Look under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\Properties for any kind of hook or tunneling items and remove the check mark. 2) scan for malicious software. 3) Go under device manager and uninstall the wifi/network device leaving the drivers installed, then restart the system.
Did everything you said except I couldn't locate "\Properties for any kind of hook or tunneling items and remove the check mark.".

Windows 7? click the internet icon next to the clock on the task bar (bottom right corner), open network and sharing center. Then click the change adapter settings (left side), next right click the "enabled"(not the USB adapter) adapter and go to properties. that's where u will see any tunneling items.

Last edited:
Windows 7? click the internet icon next to the clock on the task bar (bottom right corner), open network and sharing center. Then click the change adapter settings (left side), next right click the "enabled"(not the USB adapter) adapter and go to properties. that's where u will see any tunneling items.
Did you read the FIRST post? was (W8/W10) its W10 now. I followed these directions & clicked change adapter settings but then I see is Broad band, Ethernet & Wifi have with red X on them.Broadband not.

If both ethernet and wifi adapters have red x on them. You will need to right click on the properties of the adapter you want to use and enable it. Make sure you remove your usb adapter. You are using . Before trying to get on line. See if this works and let me know.

Last edited:
If both ethernet and wifi adapters have red x on them. You will need to right click on the properties of the adapter you want to use and enable it.
Ok, right clicking on the wifi one in the drop down menu it shows
Disable
Connect/Disconnect
Status (greyed out)
Diagnose
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bridge Connections
Properties

Ok delete and status are gray out due the adapter being disabled. Try clicking on connect and see what happens. If you have a usb adapter connect for the wifi remove it first.

That brings up Settings showing wifi disconnected so I clicked it to connect & it asked for the passcode which I typed it & then it said it was checking the network setting & of course back to square one when it finallt said can't connect. I've been getting the same crap for too many hours.

It still is it enable in the device panel? If it is connected in the device panel. Try what dernt has suggested. Pull up the properties and post them . This way he can let you know what to disable. If that dose not work will try something eles

Check in the device manager in the control panel and make sure there are no yellow marks on either adapter.. Click on each adapter . Then check under the driver tab of each adapter. To make sure they are not disabled. If they are enable .

I have to go now. Have to get up early in the morning. Will check back in the morning.

Oh by the way if their are any tunneling Items they would be in the device manager. Under your wireless adapter. I really don't think there is any there unless he had a third party software installed.

Check in the device manager in the control panel and make sure there are no yellow marks on either adapter.. Click on each adapter . Then check under the driver tab of each adapter. To make sure they are not disabled. If they are enable .

I have to go now. Have to get up early in the morning. Will check back in the morning.
No yellow marks on either adapter & both say they are working.

Have you made sure ? Your caps lock is not on when typing the key for your internet. Plus make sure your wifi key is enabled. Other then that. I am running out of ideals

I know the caps lock is off because the log on password is case sensitive.
As for the wi-fi krey, when I click it, it puts an airplane icon in the wi fi spot but still cannot get online.
I was visiting my landlord last night & although he don't do internet , he told me it sounds like the built in wi-fi could be broken since I can ge on with my USB.
Oddly enough, when I turned it on , an option page came up asking me if I wanted to re install OS & other options I don't remember,one of which was just go to W10 which I did. I'm now wondering if I should of gone for the reset option. Still confused :confused:

I even uninstalled Avast thinking it might be blocking but it still didn't go online so I reinstalled it.
I'm thinking the wifi thing is broken :(

@dernt @Cobalt006 In post #17 the items NOT showing are
(checked)Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/ipv4)
" Microsoft LLDP Protocol driver
" Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/ipv6)
" Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

:) :confused:

Back