TechSpot

Can't get online

By jephph
Mar 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I've got a client's computer that won't get online.
    Things I've tried:
    *Several Different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox). Also tried to update Malwarebytes.
    *Checked LAN settings. It's set to automatically detect.
    *TCP/IP settings are set to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically.
    *I tested it at the clients site and at my router as well (which I know is working) so I know it's not the router/modem.
    *I scanned and removed any malware with updated Spybot.
    *Tried running in safe mode with networking, still didn't work.
    *Pinging www.google.com gets a request time out
    *Pinging 74.125.224.72 (one of google's ip addresses) also gets a request time out
    *Pinging loopback is successful (4 sent, 4 received)
    *Ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
    *sfc /scannow didn't find anything
    *In services, DHCP client and DNS client services are running
    *Everything in Device manager looks clear, even when I choose "show hidden devices"
    *One thing I noticed in the Local Area Connection Status is that packets are being sent and received. Right now, it says about 50,000 bytes sent, and 100,000 bytes received.\
    *"Diagnose connection problems" in IE gets me "Windows cannot find the host name "www.google.com" using DNS"
    *"Diagnose" in local area connection status gets me "Cannot communicate with DNS server (192.168.254.254)"
    Any ideas?

2. jbpcman

jbpcman TS Rookie

it could be your modem is bad i have had this problem before try get a new one form ur internet provider

3. jephph

jephph TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

4. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120

I know this is an old thread, but try this.

-Open a command prompt (if you're using Windows 7 you will have to right click the command prompt and select "Run as Administrator).
    -Type netsh winsock reset and press enter

You will be informed that you need to restart the pc. Do so and see if you are able to get online.