Can't install Windows or even boot from 'pulled-out' hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
i just bought a bunch of computer parts and am building my first computer. here are the specs: seagate 250 gb hd, athlon64 3200+, Asus A8N-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939, 2 sticks of US Modular 512 MB's (PC3200 DDR 400MHz), a VGA XFX|GF 6800GS 256MB video card - all in a nice atx case with 400 watt power supply.
i put together this kiler system (imho) and selected cd-rom as my primary boot device, hd as second. i also had set the hd as the primary ide master, and the cd-rw rom as a secondary master. then i enabled amd k8 cool' n' quiet control because it seemed reasonable.
then i started installing windows xp home. the stage "copying files" took me about 5-6 hours. im not joking. most people say that their xp installation took under an hour, so something has already gone wrong.
the next stage, when you have a gui and the mouse is recognized took forever too, dunno how long exactly. afterwards, at some point i get a blue screen. it goes something like this:
a problem has occured and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.

IRQL_NOT LESS_OR EQUAL

if this is the first time you see this, blah blah, restart the pc, ir it happens again, contact your hardware of software manufacturers. if it continues, disable BIOS memory options, such as blah blah.

Technical information:

*** STOP : 0x00000000A (0x96320008, 0x00000002, 0x0000001, 0x8051E9EF)

writing dump file..

i then connected a different hard drive, from my old computer. it also had windows xp home, fully working, defect-free, never had a single error on it. when i connected it, i got the same thing.
i have to xp home sp2 cds', i think they're identical, so i have tried both of them. i also tried different cd-rom drives, dvd-rom, cd-rw, cd-rom and i always get the same thing. sometimes, though i also get cd-read errors sometimes, even though the cd's are brand new, defect-free.
what should i do now?

P.S. i understand that there is a lot of information out there about this error, but in my case, i am not able to install windows entirely, not just repair.

Most likely reason

Did you install the motherboard drivers at the appropriate point in the installation ? Without them, all sorts of funny things will happen, and windows cannot supply the necessary interfaces to the hardware.

This is also why you cannot run a HDD from another computer. Motherboard, HDD and OS must coordinate properly.

Sorry to say the NEXT most likely thing is a bad motherboard or incorrect cables or incorrect master/slave settings. To test HDD to motherboard, check on this site for HDD testing. You will create a floppy drive to boot from a download with HDD tests on it, and can just boot-an-go. Good luck.

are you using a SATA drive? In that case, you'll have to load your SATA drivers when it asks for it.

First, try going into BIOS and selecting 'load safe defaults'.

Second, as Tedster said, you should really install SATA drivers at the start of the install if you're installing on an SATA drive.

Third, try copying the CD to the disk, then running install from the disk.

i tried with the bios defaults (which do not have quiet n' cool technology enabled) and am reinstalling windows. my motherboard is an asus, so probably not faulty. however, i did run the ram test from memtest86.org and got a bunch of errors. could that be the cause? also, btw, i don't have a sata hd, and i haven't yet gotten to a stage where i could install the mobo drivers.
this attempt at the installation has been way more successfull, though. no blue screen yet and i got past the product activation key. i'm currently at the 'registering components' stage. thx for the help everyone!

Ram errors is not good news

Whilst you may get XP up and running, you only have to watch this site to see that the majority of 'well-blow-me-down-its-gone' errors people ask for help can be traced to bad Ram.

Mind how you go, and if you have to buy more Ram, please read the instructions with it about grounding yourself with a wrist strap, plug the motherboard into the mains, but with the power off. Some people can handle static devices no problem, others only have to be in the viscinity of a sensitive device......stop wearing nylon !!!

Definately bad news - RAM errors are really really bad, even if Windows install s, there's a large chance you will experience regular BSODs...

One or more RAM sticks is/are bad - try running with just one, test, then switch around to get the idea which one is faulty.

You'll probably have to replace RAM if it really is faulty (memtest is a pretty good indicator, so I'm saying you'll have to buy new RAM really soon most probably)...

well, i was able to install windows, but... it's running as though i had a pentium 1, not athlon 64 3200+. SLOW AS HELL! lagging.. cpu usage is almost a constant 100%. i guess this can all be traced due to ram right? i'll find out which stick of ram is f'd up, maybe one of them is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back