Can't launch program - help with virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my computer would not launch any program. All icons launched a shortcut box. Trying to use the start button caused it to flash on then off. No way to get to the internet, no way to get to system restore, etc. One funny thing...if I made the windows task manager active I could activate the start button. If I went to programs I could get an initial screen for each progam but go no further. If I selected Norton AntiVirus (2006) it WOULD launch and I did do a live update I think...assuming it went out over the internet.

Tried Norton chat from another computer, first rep couldn't help me and sent me to the screen of another where I was idle for over four hours, I finally disconnected.

Trying to launch a cd was unsuccessful.

I can view the task manager, but can't delete anything.

Any ideas on how I can get into my computer and get it running?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That doesn`t sound too good.

Go HERE and follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of srholland2552 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

internet access

I don't have internet access, in fact my keyboard is disabled. I'm thinking whatever I have has boxed me out of the computer. I don't know that I can salvage anything on the drive. If you have another idea, I'll try it. Have you heard of this virus. I appreciate your prompt reply and the help you are giving me.

Steve

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, does everything work as normal from there?

If you can`t even get into safe mode, then you might want to try a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

If that doesn`t help, then a reformat and reinstall is the only thing left.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back