TechSpot

Can't open task manger

By njdmaniac9874
Aug 28, 2008
  1. i have tried to open task manger with ctrl+alt+del and i don't get anything, i hit ctrl+shift esc and i get a message saying task manger has been disabled by admin but how can it be disabled if i am the admin x (. any help would be awesome!

2. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

Are you the ADMINISTRATOR or a user with administrator rights? In any event, you didn't do it then it could have possibly been a virus.

To make sure 'Task Manager' is enable:
    Click START => RUN type gpedit.msc. Under 'USER CONFIGURATIONS' navigate to 'ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES' => 'SYSTEM' => 'CTRL+ALT+DEL OPTION' and either select 'DISABLE' or 'NOT CONFIGURE'. My computer has it set to 'NOT CONFIGURED' and it works fine.

Let me know if this helps....

3. njdmaniac9874

njdmaniac9874 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i can't open the gpedit.msc. idk my computer can't find that thing so...

4. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

Are you the ADMINISTRATOR? or just a USER?. What does it say when you try to open gpedit.msc? What type of Windows are you running: XP, Vista?

5. njdmaniac9874

I am the admin of the computer. it says "windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. to search for a file, click the start button and then click search." I and running XP

6. bluedame

bluedame TS Rookie Posts: 27

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (or copy-paste it)

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

hope this helps!

7. njdmaniac9874

you are the man thank you.. and thank you tuant as well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.