Can't read UDF format discs (Win7)

By Mugsy
Nov 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) after moving to an SSD. Now, for some mysterious reason, I can no longer read UDF format discs (all Blueray and some DVD's are UDF).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base posts a "hotfix", but it didn't work.

I searched online and lots of people seem to have this same problem, but no one has a fix.

How is it I can WRITE udf discs but not READ them? What a pain.

(Note: I can read the discs in XP and Linux, just not Win7. Copying the discs to the HDD every time I want to read them is not a long-term solution. And I can't copy commercial BD discs anyway.)
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77 is for XP, but does contain some useful information and possible work-rounds. At a guess, I would expect MS to address whatever they have done wrong before too long. In the meantime, an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available. Try the website of your DVD manufacturer.

At worst, if there is no software solution within a couple of months, you might have to consider replacing the drive, at least you can return a new drive if it fails you too.
  3. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 361   +9

Thanks for the reply. I've actually already seen the link you mention above. But you're not the first to mention "UDF" and "driver" in the same breath.

On the off-chance this is a driver issue, I installed IObit's free "Driver Booster" which lists outdated drivers and auto updates them. One of the drivers that needed "updating" was my "Intel C220 Sata AHCI Controller". So I took a chance and it did indeed restore UDF support!

Now if I can just get my Blueray Movie Player software to work again (it buffers 10% of the disc and then the program just closes. No crash, no error message, it just disappears.)

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

Glad you moved forward. Now the BlueRay question you have left looks rather like a problem with the player software. I would update/reinstall that to ensure it links properly with your new driver.

Despite no visible error appearing, you should check Windows logs - there is a vast amount of information there, and you might get some clues. Type eventvwr.msc in the search box.
  5. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 361   +9

Yep, uninstalling/reinstalling the program (now that UDF is working) worked and BD discs are playing again.

Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving.