Can't reinstall SB Audigy from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is an old problem.

I have a pre-built computer I bought from GreatPCsOnline in 2002 that is no longer under warranty.

It's a 2.4GHz Intel CPU, ECS P4S5a-DX 533 FSB mobo, 512MB DDR 2700 RAM, XP home, and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy (according to the web site, it's a "Soundblaster Audigy w/1394"):
http://www.greatpcsonline.com/info.html?prt=1&id=222

My computer has worked decently since I got it, except that my CD's don't autorun (not a huge deal).

I was recently playing the game Shadowbane that I got as a Christmas gift (don't get it, it's a horrible game) that crashed on me. It has crashed on me before, so I ignored the error message and went on about my business.

Then I realized I had no sound. I checked my hardware profiles/device manager and my SB Audigy wasn't listed--it looks like the crash disabled/uninstalled it.

I tried reinstalling the base drivers from my disc, but whenever I do so from the base menu, I get the error message "Creative setup could not find the Audigy hardware on your computer. Make sure the Audigy is properly installed, then try again."

I've tried manually reinstalling the drivers (ctzapxx.exe) and it says that to do so, it must overrwrite the same, existing drivers on my system. That doesn't do anything. Could the crash have burned out my sound card? I haven't opened up my case yet (that's a last-ditch solution for me).

If anyone else is familiar with SB Audigy cards flaking out and being unable to reinstall from the system disc, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try to reseat the soundcard properly or in another PCI slot, over a certain period of time expansion and contraction due to heat may cause the sound card to get loose. You might even want to make sure that the gold contacts are clean.

Just my $0.02.

My SBLive card wouldn't install from CD and it made problems when I downloaded the drivers from Creative's site.

When I overclocked my CPU, it didn't detect the soundcard. Is yours overclocked?

Also, I'd take out the card, start XP up then shut it down and put it back in. If you have onboard sound, use that instead :)

CD autorun can be fixed by doing a regedit, lemme see if I can find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back