Can't run oblivion on an inspiron 6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scolaire

Got a Dell inspiron, tried to run Oblivion after hearing all the rave reviews only to find (after installing to medium capacity) that when I clicked play it "encountered problems opening this device"...any advice?

ProcessorProcessor type Core Duo
Clock speed 1.66 GHz
RAMRAM installed size 1 GB
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Display (Projector)Display (projector) diagonal size 15.4 in
Video OutputGraphics processor ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 HyperMemory
Video MemoryVideo RAM installed 128 MB
Storage Hard DriveHard drive 60 GB
Optical StorageCD / DVD type DVD-ROM
OS ProvidedOS provided Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Scolaire said:
(after installing to medium capacity)
I don't understand, do you mean you had it half way installed or the game was half way loaded?
It's strange, I'll give you that. Your specs are at least enough to run the game but I have heard and read here that a lot of people are having problems running this game, it's very demanding. Unfortunately I don't own oblivion. I hope someone else here has some ideas.

Oblivion is very demanding, you might want to look in to getting a new gpu. what type of motherboard do you have? i'll look into it more when i get off work. the game is awesome. gameplay is steller and graphics are insane. you'll be glad to get is running when you do.

He can't upgrade the graphic card because it is a laptop.

(there is only a few brands that allow upgrade for the graphic card on a laptop)

First things first, thanks for the replys. I checked the support pages at bethsoft.com and my system meets the minimum and the recommended requirements, the latter barely. It couldn't possibly be that my graphics card is too old, could it? I was under the impression that this was a fairly decent card. Also, my system meets the recommended requirements. I don't even if it won't be the most graphically mind-blowing experience ever, but to not even be able to play the game is really disappointing.
Do you think I just did something wrong, or didn't do something at all?

CrossFire851 said:
He can't upgrade the graphic card because it is a laptop.

and to avoid futher embarisment, i don't think i will check this forum and reply while at work.. i should have known that.

Have you tried to uninstall then reinstall yet? often times that will fix the problem. if there is still a problem, then could you give a bit more detailed account of what you did to install and what the error is. Although i wouldn't run it on a laptop, but that's just me.

regards

Nick

noleson said:
and to avoid futher embarisment

Well, further embarrassment I suppose, SWEET SWEET IRONY!

My friend has an Inspiron 6200 and he plays Oblivion, of course, he just turns collisions off and flies around like a *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back