Can't use Hard Drive and HD Enclosure to get files off HD/Win XP

By lovespirit
Oct 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AM having a tough time getting the PC I'm suing a 64 bit about 1.7Ghz. to recognize a hard drive in a hard drive enclosure. I've tried different pin settings and it didn't work. I think the HD was formatted with NTFS. Does that make a difference? How can files off of this HD, which is partitioned in two sections.?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

If it is an IDE drive, you need to set the jumpers to Master. If it is an SATA drive you may want to set the jumper to force SATA I, some SATA enclosures don't support SATAII.
  3. lovespirit

lovespirit Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have two hard drives to detect.
    The first hard drive is a Barracuda ATA IV 80 GB 7,200 rpm
    The second hard drive I am attempting to connect to the pc: Generic AT 60GB I think it's the one that actually works. The first drive, can't figure out the jumpers and stuff.
    Thanks,
    Rodney
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

I got the impression from your post that one was in an external enclosure, if that is the case, what I said above is what you need to do.

If you are connecting both internally, set the boot drive to master, and then you have 2 options:
    1. Set the other to slave and connect it on the same IDE cable.
    2. Set the other to master and put it on its own IDE cable/ribbon.
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

As per SNGX1275's comment, could you clarify?
    > And if via external connection, what type connection are you using?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.