TechSpot

Capacitors next to Processor bent

By GTGear
Jul 2, 2006
  1. Hi, I was recently cleaning out my Motherboard of dust and I noticed a couple of my Capacitors are bent. I checked to see was any Electrolyte leaking and there isnt. Also my computer hasnt been showing the usual symptoms of a bad capacitor. What should I do? should I try to bend them back in place or leave them be.

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Is the capacitor itself bent, or the metal contacts that connect it to the board?

It shouldn't cause a problem if it's just the contacts, as long as they don't break off.

3. GTGear

GTGear TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

Its the contacts that are bent, i just looked again to make sure. So it shouldnt cause any problem?

4. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

No problems if they aren't broken.

5. nork

nork TS Maniac Posts: 631

Most times thats the way they came from the factory. It doesnt matter a bit if the metal legs are bent or not, the capacitors will work the same.
    I get the feeling you are worried that you may have bent them during cleanup. They often get bent when installing other parts on the motherboard. Its not a problem as long as the 2 legs stay connected. And if your pc is working fine there is your proof.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

As long as there is good contact, and they aren't leaking, you should be ok. A lot of times they are bent away from the CPU on purpose so they don't interfere with installation of a CPU.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.