TechSpot

Capacitors next to Processor bent

By GTGear
Jul 2, 2006
  1. Hi, I was recently cleaning out my Motherboard of dust and I noticed a couple of my Capacitors are bent. I checked to see was any Electrolyte leaking and there isnt. Also my computer hasnt been showing the usual symptoms of a bad capacitor. What should I do? should I try to bend them back in place or leave them be.

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

Is the capacitor itself bent, or the metal contacts that connect it to the board?

It shouldn't cause a problem if it's just the contacts, as long as they don't break off.

3. GTGear

GTGear TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

Its the contacts that are bent, i just looked again to make sure. So it shouldnt cause any problem?

4. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

No problems if they aren't broken.

5. nork

nork TS Maniac Posts: 306

Most times thats the way they came from the factory. It doesnt matter a bit if the metal legs are bent or not, the capacitors will work the same.
    I get the feeling you are worried that you may have bent them during cleanup. They often get bent when installing other parts on the motherboard. Its not a problem as long as the 2 legs stay connected. And if your pc is working fine there is your proof.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

As long as there is good contact, and they aren't leaking, you should be ok. A lot of times they are bent away from the CPU on purpose so they don't interfere with installation of a CPU.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.