Capcom adds pay-to-progress microtransactions to Resident Evil 4 Remake

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Resident Evil 4 received a bizarre combination of paid and free DLC over the weekend. The free update includes a Mercenaries mode with players defeating as many enemies as possible within a time limit shooting for a high score on the le. Capcom had promised a Mercenaries mode, so it was expected. It's the second part of the update that is somewhat inexplicable.

Alongside, but separate from the free Mercenaries mode, players will find that they can now purchase "Resident Evil 4 Weapon Exclusive Upgrade Tickets." These digital coupons entitle the player to a "weapon's exclusive upgrade." Each ticket costs $3, with bundles of three for $7 and five for $10. So to unlock every exclusive weapon upgrade in the game, you'll spend $40 when buying in bulk and $60 if you buy the 20 tickets needed individually.

Before now, players had to grind through hours of gameplay to earn enough Pesetas (in-game currency) to buy just one weapon upgrade. For example, players can get a 5x critical rate for the game's starting handgun (SR-09 R) for 80,000 Pesetas. And there are several weapons with upgrades costing 100,000. Only a couple of cheap ones ring in at 10,000.

All totaled, a player would need to save (read: grind for) 1,427,700 Pesetas to buy all the unique weapon upgrades in the game. That figure does not include the cost of purchasing the weapons from the in-game merchant. If it sounds familiar, it's because it's the exact same content paywall that EA used for Battlefront II, which it eventually ditched because of player blowback.

The difference is that RE4's microtransactions make the game easier to progress through. Battlefront II's locked content primarily consisted of playable heroes with no distinct advantages that made them better (cosmetic).

Back in the day, sometimes developers would lock content behind cheat codes. Generally, they were free with the game if you could figure them out or got them from gaming magazines. They were a little treat that developers essentially gave to players as a thank-you for buying the game. Now developers are charging players for their "cheat codes."

Look, I get it. I'm an old-timer. Games are more expensive to produce these days, especially for some of the higher-budget titles. In many cases, prices have not inflated to match production costs, and paid DLC and optional cosmetics that do not affect gameplay help to offset this discrepancy. I totally understand and am okay with paying (or not) for those things.

What I don't get is nickel-and-diming the player to unlock upgrades that fundamentally change the gameplay. Holding out content and making the player suffer through hours of needless repetitive play to earn it unless they pay a ransom seems chintzy, especially since RE4 is an exceptionally difficult grind.

Permalink to story.

To progress through weapons you need to grind in game - that's stupid for what Resident Evil is. What a dumb mechanic, yet I'm sure people with too much money or not enough wits will pay for this junk.

Last edited:
I dont mind with this move. Regular players can still play and win the game without touching the MTx, while those who dont have time to grind can spend extra money. Both can reach the same progress, one is jusr faster than the other. This is a win-win imho. RE4 is not a pvp either.

Locking content behind MTx for a full priced game tho, is trashy.

Not all MTxs are bad.

I dont mind with this move. Regular players can still play and win the game without touching the MTx, while those who dont have time to grind can spend extra money. Both can reach the same progress, one is jusr faster than the other. This is a win-win imho. RE4 is not a pvp either.

Not all MTxs are bad.
If it was a much lower price, sure. But they're asking for a pretty high initial price, and then asking for more to skip their artificially raised grind for those upgrades. At least, that is what players can and should assume after this move (as the devs knew full well they were going to release this and would've bumped up the upgrade prices to nudge players towards this).

It is VERY scummy, especially since it was revealed after launch...

I should blame this BS trend squarely on this gen's gamers. If these zombies themselves don't keep paying for microtransactions, loot boxes and other BS, the companies would stop pursuing this path.

If it was a much lower price, sure. But they're asking for a pretty high initial price, and then asking for more to skip their artificially raised grind for those upgrades. At least, that is what players can and should assume after this move (as the devs knew full well they were going to release this and would've bumped up the upgrade prices to nudge players towards this).

It is VERY scummy, especially since it was revealed after launch...
I will disagree. Sure the initial price is high. But like I said, the MTx here is just an option, not a mandatory for finishing the game and progressing. It's just like giving players an option to skip some grinding, rather than investing dozens of hours into it which some players dont have. There's no damage being done here. Both normal and whale players can still fully enjoy the game.

I will disagree. Sure the initial price is high. But like I said, the MTx here is just an option, not a mandatory for finishing the game and progressing. It's just like giving players an option to skip some grinding, rather than investing dozens of hours into it which some players dont have. There's no damage being done here. Both normal and whale players can still fully enjoy the game.
I think people forget that "cheats" used to be a thing, now they're monetized.

Do you honestly think that, if the MTX were never planned, there would be as much grinding needed?

I can pretty much guarantee it would be less, because you need to incentivize spending money.

Please do not defend this scummy move, because it just tells them they can get away with screwing over paying customers...
And this is on top of it being a remake (not even a new game).

1- Has pay-2-win effect? Yes
2- Introduced micro-transactions in a remake? Yes
3- Introduced micro-transaction in a single player campaign? Yes
4- Micro-transactions in a fully priced product? Yes
5- Micro-transactions were added after reviews to avoid negative scores? Yes

Scumminess Index Score - 5/5.
Rating : Scums of the earth.
Congratulations Capcom.

Not all MTxs are bad.
the whole idea of MTxs is wrong, to begin with, and there is no way you can justify it even if it's small and harmful

It sucks when an article ends with makeup on top of the problem. This game is a remake, not an entirely original game, plus it's a beloved low-stakes franchise that has sold remarkably well. They don't need to stick with this disgrace of paying for X/Y with the price of games already costing so much.

The summary of this is the greed of executives who don't understand anything about games.

the whole idea of MTxs is wrong, to begin with, and there is no way you can justify it even if it's small and harmful
Well I guess I have a very unpopular opinion.

Still, personally I dont think what Capcom does here with RE4 is wrong. And not all mtxs are harmful or bad, the stigma is just there because majority of them are indeed bad.

No I won't change my mind and blindly ride the hate train.

Well I guess I have a very unpopular opinion.

Still, personally I dont think what Capcom does here with RE4 is wrong. And not all mtxs are harmful or bad, the stigma is just there because majority of them are indeed bad.

No I won't change my mind and blindly ride the hate train.
Signed up today just to agree with you. People are so focused on the paying aspects of these things that they cannot or will not see another person's perspective. If you don't like it, don't buy it, grind away to your hearts content. Personally, I don't have time for that and want to make it a bit easier to actually finish the game. I did it with RE2, RE3, and I'll get these weapon tickets for RE4 too. That's how I like to play, that's how I enjoy the game. Like the grind? Go for it. I'm with you Loli Pop Carbon!

Signed up today just to agree with you. People are so focused on the paying aspects of these things that they cannot or will not see another person's perspective. If you don't like it, don't buy it, grind away to your hearts content. Personally, I don't have time for that and want to make it a bit easier to actually finish the game. I did it with RE2, RE3, and I'll get these weapon tickets for RE4 too. That's how I like to play, that's how I enjoy the game. Like the grind? Go for it. I'm with you Loli Pop Carbon!
Glad to see someone with same opinion. Indeed this is about seeing things from different perspective, and not blindly generalizing evertyhing. And different type of players cam enjoy the game differently, like you. As long as all the players can have the same fun, there's no problem.

They also added a much quicker and easier way to unlock the handcannon through Mercenaries - most likely to entice you to buy the Exclusive Upgrade tickets to get the infinite ammo upgrade right away.

Back