Career change - Cyber Security?

Hi forum, new member here.

I’m a 30yr old truck Mechanic

Is it too late to begin working towards a career in cyber security? Ie starting to study foundational IT knowledge in my own time and then building on that with certifications?

If I dedicated a few hours per day after work to study over 12 to 24 months what level could I realistically expect to achieve?

My current IT knowledge is limited, but I at least grew up with computers so am competent using them but that’s about it.

I’m obviously looking for a career change and just want to know if this is a realistic possibility. Thanks.

Is it too late to begin working towards a career in cyber security? Ie starting to study foundational IT knowledge in my own time and then building on that with certifications?

If I dedicated a few hours per day after work to study over 12 to 24 months what level could I realistically expect to achieve?

My current IT knowledge is limited, but I at least grew up with computers so am competent using them but that’s about it.

I’m obviously looking for a career change and just want to know if this is a realistic possibility. Thanks.
Cyber security is field that requires a lot of knowledge of different systems and technologies. Beginners will have a lot of trouble diving into all of this.

It might be possible in 2 years with dedication, but it isn't going to be easy for someone with limited background in IT.

You are better off trying to become a web developer since it's much easier to learn and there are a lot of resources you can tap into (both offline and online). Maybe Javascript (and a JS library like React or Angular) or Python.

never too late as long as you dedicate yourself and find the right resources.

Nothing is impossible if you are committed and determined. Just that when switching you might come across a significant dip in the money that you make. If you can accommodate that then Cyber Security is a good niche to hop into.

Back