TechSpot

Carrier-free SIM cards are now legal in The Netherlands

By Justin Kahn
Mar 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It is possible for SIM cards to be built directly into mobile devices, essentially freeing customers from being locked to a service provider and allowing any device to be connected with any carrier.

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +530

It would be cool to be able to pick your provider straight from your phone. It might cause some carrier's stores to close though.

3. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Yeah that would be boss you buy your phone, start it up and see a list of plans from all the carriers with pricings.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

Yeah it would be cool. I couldn't care less about most of the carriers anyway, they're just money grabbing greedy pigs as far as I'm concerned. It would be nice to choose between the lesser of the evils.

5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,920   +687

This would be awesome if it happens everywhere else. Makes everything so much easier and I personally feel that the networks would be in better competition, then it really would be who has the best signal and fastest speeds for the best price, rather than adding in extra for the device and what not.

I mean, in the UK you can buy a phone separate anyway and just use different sim cards, this would just clear up the mess.

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Hard to believe that this is illegal except in the Netherlands. It should have been the way they were designed in the first place.