Cat Pee + Keyboard = Busted PS2 Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomsweek

So here's the story:

A cat pee'd into my keyboard, so the computer sometimes thinks that I'm pressing the Shift, Alt, or Ctrl keys when I'm not. That's why I bought a new PS2 keyboard, only to find out that the new keyboard acts the same way like the old busted keyboard. Which led me to think that the pee somehow also destroyed the PS2 Port. :(

Question:

Can I just desolder the PS2 wire from the keyboard and directly solder a USB wire (replacing the PS2 wire) so that I can connect the keyboard into a USB port on the PC?

EDIT:

I already bought a PS2 to USB adapter. Problem is it doesn't work like the 'ordinary' keyboards. It's OK for ordinary use but for FPS games, it's not OK. It has a problem with multiple keys being pressed at the same time. (Eg. Pressing 'a' + 's' then letting go of 's' but still pressing 'a' should have an output of "...aaasaaa..." but using this adapter it outputs "...aaas" ). I hope people could understand what I'm trying to say here.

doomsweek said:
Can I just desolder the PS2 wire from the keyboard and directly solder a USB wire (replacing the PS2 wire).

Umm No

You need a normal USB Keyboard (can be as low as $10)
And a USB port on your computer

That's it

I doubt cat piss would wreck the port itself. Perhaps you have a bent pin, but resoldering (if you have the skills, may be a solution.) In the future, try soaking the keyboard in an alcohol bath. But since keyboards are dirt cheap and you can get them for $1 at a computer salvage store, it's better just to replace.

Next time put kitty out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back