cat5 vs. wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjangl337

wat would be faster a 100ft/50ft cat5 line from a cable router or the fastest wireless connected from a wireless AP (access point) i think its a 802.11g to my desktop? which is about 30-50 feet away (the desktop)

It all depends on what you will be using it for. If you are going to be using it for just connecting to the internet you can use either, it is just a matter of having the 100 ft of wire going across the room or wherever you are using it.
If you are going to be using it on a network where you will be transfering files you would need to 802.11g, but if you are going to simply connecting one computer to the internet you can use 802.11b because that runs at 11mbit/sec where your connection I"m sure is no more than 2mbit/sec. I hope I made a little sense, and if not ask again and I or someone else will try to explain it a little more.

Yes but wirless is much cleaner looking and much less of a hassle....No extra wires...add new devices without buying more cabling...I love wireless...

Wireless doenst work well at all with games however, because of the way it works. It cant send packets back+fouth at the same time. This causes you to lag like craze.

Also are you sure you'll get a working signal if your 50 foot away? We have 802.11b in my house - its ment to work pretty far but really doesnt, due to the fact theres so many walls and such between the AP and the computer. works maybe 20ft.

I'm not denying what you say agissi, but as far as I know, especially with the 802.11g, wireless gaming is just fine....I would go with the wireless....

unless you are connecting a notebook computer, you are wasting your money getting wireless as a wired network is faster, easier to setup, cheaper, and more secure.

Most of you avoided the question completely. He asked which was faster, and as SNGX said, CAT5 will be faster. Bottom line, no ifs ands or buts. wired is faster than wireless.

cool thanx guys i think imma get a router and a 100 ft cat5 line and make a huge mess with it going upstairs heh :D

As long as you don't mind the wires, it is the better solution.
One thing you can also look into is running the wires through your ductwork to get it upstairs through the walls and no along the floor.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Wireless doenst work well at all with games however, because of the way it works. It cant send packets back+fouth at the same time. This causes you to lag like craze.

Also are you sure you'll get a working signal if your 50 foot away? We have 802.11b in my house - its ment to work pretty far but really doesnt, due to the fact theres so many walls and such between the AP and the computer. works maybe 20ft.

You must have a terrible AP then, or really bad wireless cards. Wireless is designed to reach up to 300ft unobstructed, or about 200ft through walls.

From my personal experiences, wireless reaches very, very far.. Even though solid objects.

Is your router located near something large and metal? This may affect the signal. 20ft is rediculously bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back