TechSpot

CD/CD RW Drives stopped working...

By Goofy Newfie
Mar 27, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For some reason, my optical drives will not function. Nothing was changed on my system, which really puzzles me. I tried uninstalling them in device manager with no success. Once while rebooting, I got an error message saying that they were not Atapi compatible, and to press F1 to continue. What's the deal here? Any advice/instructions are, as always, appreciated.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

How about reistalling IDE controller drivers?

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Check that the cables are connected properly.

4. Goofy Newfie

Goofy Newfie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 211

The cables are attached properly. I am going to try reinstalling the drivers for the IDE controllers.

OK...

Here's what I tried:

reinstalled IDE controllers/drivers
    installed brand new IDE cable
    performed system restore

Could the secondary IDE on my mobo be shot? It's only 4 months old, and I have not done anything to it since I bought it ( no cable changes/removals, no hardware changes).

I am going to try and hook up one of the optical drives to the primary IDE as a slave and see what happens.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You can hook up your HD to the second channel. If the controller is bust, the HD won't work either.

6. Goofy Newfie

Goofy Newfie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 211

D'uhhh. I am just not thinking in the right frame of mind in handling this problem. I will give it a go.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.