CD/DVD drive (dis)connected?

learninmypc

On a Vista Home Premium does it show in device manager if the CD/DVD ROM drive is connected or not? Like any yellow exclamation marks !!!! Mine don't

Last edited:
Look at the device manager, left click once on cd/dvd-rom drives.
If it says unknown device with an exclamation mark.
You right click on that unknown device and check the status of the drive.
Now find the driver tab and click that and see what windows 6/vista has for it.
Now reboot your computer make sure you know how to access your cmos configuration.
Google it if your not sure how such as this.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=cY...8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.MHDUE0R8yT4

Check and make sure the device is appearing in bios and working right by opening and closing the drive door.
If its not showing up it has already died off and you will need a newer drive.

Ok, looking in device Manager, no "unknown device" or exclamation marks of any type but it does show.

What does it show exactly, screenshot it upload to image shack, photobucket or lame google imaging service.
Show it to us so we can see what the problem is.

I did scan for driver updates, but after it ran for 4 hours, I exited it & shut it down. Its now sleeping in the closet.

I did scan for driver updates, but after it ran for 4 hours, I exited it & shut it down. Its now sleeping in the closet.

Thats the best thing you can do for now, but a dated laptop like that with problems.
I'm sorry but I end up throwing it into the trash can or nearest recycle bin on someones street.

Back