CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I decided to upgrade my hard disk storage space so I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA hard disk drive. Upon installing the drive I entered the Bios and went into "Intergrated Peripherals" section and set the BIOS to recognize P-ATA + S-ATA drives. When I reboot the new Maxtor drive shows up in Windows Explorer and functions normally. Also in Windows Explorer, my CD/DVD drive appears. However when I put a cd in the drive and click on the drive in Explorer I get the message to "Insert a disc into drive F:". The drive will not read the disc. When I went into Device Manager the CD/DVD drive shows up and says that it is functioning properly. Strange.....
So, I rebooted and reset the BIOS to the setup defaults (ie. P-ATA Drive Only) and when the computer boots up now the CD/DVD drive functions normally but the Maxtor drive is now not recognized. I understandObviously the Maxtor drive is not recognized because the BIOS is set for P-ATA drive only, but why when the BIOS is set for P-ATA + S-ATA is the CD/DVD drive not recognized?

My computer specs are as follows:

Processsor: Intel Pentium4 3.2C GHz (478pin/FSB800)
Motherboard: MSI i865G ATX
Bios: AMI Bios
RAM: DDR SDRAM 1GB (512MB x 2 / PC3200)
Video:nVidia GeForce FX5700 128MB AGP
Sound: CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy2ZS Platinum Pro
Hard Disk1:160GB Ultra ATA HDD (7200rpm)
Hard Disk2:Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA

Just a shot in the dark here but it's possible that adding another drive, depending on how many partitions you have that F: has been re-assigned since you now have one more drive/partition introduced to the system...
Right click My Computer, click manage and drop down into disk management and see how the drives are listed.
The DVD might now be G: being bumped down a notch.
If this doesn't work go into Control Panel/System and remove the DVD by right clicking and select remove.
Power down, re-boot and the system should pick it up and assifgn a new drive letter.

patio. :cool:

To me, this sounds like unexpected behavior. It is pretty obvious what SATA + IDE do (or should, in this case) and it does not do that.

Whenever I see something that appears to behave incorrectly, I make the assumption it could be a bug. Next, I look to the manufacturer for updates etc.. A possible solution in this case may be a BIOS update. You can usually get one from the manufacturer's website. This will update your system board, usualling fixing known issues, improving performance / comatability etc..

Also, if you are having this behavior, other people are too (unless something is defective). As painful as it is, it might be worthwhile to call the manufacturer and see if they have a solution, because it may be a common problem.

If you update your BIOS, I think it is worth mentioning that there is a small chance for error. If the power goes out, your system has faulty components (memory, board, CPU..), it could cause the BIOS flash utility to stop before it is finished, rendering your system unusable unless you replace the boad. It's a very small chance, but it exists and you should do everything possible to avoid this... Like don't flash your BIOS in a heavy thunderstorm or get impatient and turn the system off while updating. :giddy:

a possible

I had a similar problem with my equipment some time ago when I installed three SATA drives. The BIos for my Mother board would only recognise them as SATA drives if I had SET the sequence correct in the BIOS (gigabyte 8PE800 ULTRA) I cannot recall exactly but where ther was a mixture of IDE and SATA the search sequence had to be set correctly or one type of interface was not seen.... may be just drivel but I offer it in a most humble way....:giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back