Cd/dvd won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

campingmom4

have a problem with the cd/dvd rom burner won't work. i purchased a new one and installed it but it won't run either. when you place a cd or anything in it, the green light blinks, but then it just quits and won't read it. recently i had virus in puter and just got it fixed a couple days ago. i don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but i had to go in and refigure a bunch of things. now all the sudden this won't work. i've tried uninstall, reboot, reboot in safe mode, ect. the device manager sees it, trouble shooting shows no problems. any ideas? thanks-

ok, i had to turn off sys restore, so there is no restore point later than this past weekend. so that is of no use. i also booted in safe mode and got the same results. installed new rom and new cable, tried in reg boot and safe mode and nothing either. both are showing up in device manager and working, but i know that doesn't have a lot of merit either, lol. i'm running XP home, and puter is an HP if that makes it easier. all up to date, ect. the rom acts like it wants to read, but the green light just flashes, then it quits. any suggestions?

Again.
SNGX1275 said:
Can you boot off of a disk in the drive?

This rules out hardware and tells us it is a Windows problem. If you can't boot off of it, then you have a hardware problem.

If you ignored my question because you didn't understand, then at least say so. You'll need a bootable disk, those HP restore disks that came with your computer (or you burned when you first got it from HP's utility) are bootable, same with most Windows installation cds, linux installation cds, and memtest cds.

the rom acts like it wants to read, but the green light just flashes, then it quits. any suggestions

Please follow SNGX1275 advice before doing any sfc scan I stated above.

no i'm sorry i didn't understand you........ i don't know much about this, just learning, so i'm sorry . i put in a disc that came with computer that says windows repair, drives, ect. it won't read it either.

Tmagic650 said:
You didn't say what your computer is, but you might be able to perform an XP repair. Your computer may have a restore feature built in. If you didn't turn off Windows restore point, when you "cleaned" the virus, it may still be present...

XP Repair instructions:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Now lets get back to this... What are your computer's make and model number? If you don't have a restore function on the opening boot screen that says press F10 or something, you are going to have to take your computer to someone who understands how to perform the XP restore instructions that I linked to here

campingmom4 said:
no i'm sorry i didn't understand you........ i don't know much about this, just learning, so i'm sorry . i put in a disc that came with computer that says windows repair, drives, ect. it won't read it either.
Put that disk in your cd drive, and reboot your computer. Your computer should be set up to check the cd drive before the hard drive on boot, meaning if there is a bootable cd in there it will boot from that rather than the hard drive. If it boots off the cd then we know the problem is isolated to Windows.

I recall as computers get older, things happen. alot of times you have to manually make it read a disk. Start/Run then manually run the program on the disk. seems like maby, you can go to Start/run and than type d:\ or e:\ or what ever letter your Disk drive is. Try this before formating your computer... it could be alot more simple. I could be just rambling but I do recall having to do this because a disk would never auto run, but thank god for Vista, makes it easier for me to do everything.

So no one here believes in doing and XP Repair???
Nope

SNGX1275 is trying to confirm if it is a CD/DVD Drive problem, and so far 3 other support members (including myself!) have stopped him.

From confirming that CMOS is set to start with CD first, and then putting any boot CD into the drive, and the CD does not run. Would mean that it is a hardware fault.

If the Boot CD works, then its Repair away to your hearts content.

Edit:
Here are the words, most of us skipped past:
cd/dvd rom burner won't work. i purchased a new one and installed it but it won't run
I could just see myself checking registries and going to Safe mode, and running restore. And SNGX1275 walking in, and saying, "Hey Kim, what are you doing?". Oh yeah !

If there is a cable problem, a jumper problem, an IDE Controller problem you could end up chasing your tail for weeks tracking down a problem that Windows can't ever fix.

My suggestion involves a total time of about 2 minutes. Chances of it being outside of Windows I admit are lower than it being an in Windows problem. But then again I'd think swapping hardware would prompt the new hardware identification box and would take care of any software issues upon Windows "installing" the drive.

So mine was just a simple suggestion to try before we all waste a few days on something that may not even be fixable in Windows.

And would you care to state what the fix was ?

Faulty Drive ?
Faulty Cable ?
Installation ?
Jumper setting ?
Repair ?
Replace ?

What fixed it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back