CD Projekt Red rules out microtransactions for single player games

Bubbajim

Staff
In context: Video game publishers including microtransactions in their single-player titles are nothing new, going back at least as far as Bethesda's infamous 'horse armor pack' for Oblivion in 2006. Big-name franchises like Deus Ex, Shadow of Mordor, or Metal Gear Solid have all had installments tarnished by the inclusion of pay-to-win or predatory microtransactions.

On Friday, CD Projekt Red Chief Financial Officer Piotr Nielubowicz participated in a live chat with investors on the Polish platform Stockwatch. During the talk, Nielubowicz confirmed that the studio has no plans to implement microtransactions (MXT) in its single-player games while leaving them open for future multiplayer projects.

"We do not see a place for microtransactions in the case of single player games, but we do not rule out that we will use this solution in the future in the case of multiplayer projects," Nielubowicz answered when asked about the prospect.

Fans should be pleased that CDPR is taking a stand in an industry that tends to favor maligned MTX models.

Just this month, one of the biggest releases of 2024, Dragon's Dogma 2, garnered significant critical acclaim from reviewers. However, players discovered on launch that it included a shop with numerous items available for real money. Dragon's Dogma 2's shop offers 21 different purchases, with a total value of around 65 percent of the base game's price.

Microtransactions are a goldmine for many developers, but their inclusion in single-player games has always been questionable. The practice is often viewed as holding game features hostage. After all, there are no fellow players to check out cosmetic items. Quality-of-life purchases, like "camping gear," are frequently even worse since they usually indicate that the game includes unreasonable grind mechanics to prod players into making purchases to ease progression stress. It's not only predatory monetization; it's just poor game design.

With the recent confirmation that The Witcher 4 is in full preproduction and CD Projekt also eyeing up their Cyberpunk sequel, the news that these games won't feature such microtransactions is very welcome.

The caveat that the studio will consider MTX for multiplayer games is not a big concern. CD Projekt is famed for its single-player experience and doesn't dabble in MP gaming too much. However, "Project Sirius" will be multiplayer. That's likely why Nielubowicz left the option open.

Another thing to consider is that gamers are far more accepting of MTX models in multiplayer gaming as long as it doesn't employ pay-to-win mechanics. Gamers tend to find purchasable cosmetics and other content that does not give a player an unfair advantage acceptable. However, the price tags for extra content in recent games like Diablo 4 are ridiculous, with most skins costing between $15 and $30.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, definitely recommending against ever paying full price for the AAAA priced Dragons Dogma 2, especially since they added microtransactions the day of the launch (after reviews went out).
Really goes to show how cowardly Capcom is, rather then face the music head on they tried to slip it in later and got caught red handed in 4k. They KNOW this is massively unpopular but that doesnt give them pause, they dont think "maybe we shouldnt do this bad thing", instead they try to hide it.

Disgusting.

In a Single Player game, who gives a flying eff if they have MTX in it that helps lazy/stupid people play the game faster. Let them waste their money and the devs can use that money to make better games. It's the P2W MTX in online games that need to get the slack, not this, people need to stop bandwagoning over stupid shiz that doesn't matter...

WB: and we will try live-service-microparasitic game again damn it!
And this time it will work!!!

In a Single Player game, who gives a flying eff if they have MTX in it that helps lazy/stupid people play the game faster. Let them waste their money and the devs can use that money to make better games. It's the P2W MTX in online games that need to get the slack, not this, people need to stop bandwagoning over stupid shiz that doesn't matter...

It creates a perverse incentive to make the game harder to encourage people to pay.

And some anti-woke warriors are still going to blast them for doing the right thing...

CDPR is probably one of the few devs that really define the business.

Good The last thing games need are yet more sets of monetization. We've had enough already. CDPR hopefully has learned from CP2077 and will take their time this round to ensure the game is ready first.
They botched their launch, but the game is incredible.

Yeah, definitely recommending against ever paying full price for the AAAA priced Dragons Dogma 2, especially since they added microtransactions the day of the launch (after reviews went out).
They created a mini multi-verse in SF6 to make monetization over cosmetics for your avatar.

They were charging 12$ for one TMNT avatar costume.

They released the 3rd costume for the characters and they cost 6$ a piece, for a total of 108$ for a game that retail for 50$.

And just like that, I'll preorder every single game they create.
No Sweet Baby Inc, no microtransactions, no today's politics. Good. <3

They botched their launch, but the game is incredible.
It's better than Starfield. Definitely an above average game. Too bad Capcom was greedy as hell and did shady things at its launch. People were really hungry for a new good RPG to play after they finished BG3.

I just wish content in multiplayer games was ‘reasonable’ when comparing to the effort of making the items purchasable. Most games should divide current pricing by ten, some by more.

And just like that, I'll preorder every single game they create.
No Sweet Baby Inc, no microtransactions, no today's politics. Good. <3
That's dumb. What if the product is ****? By preordering from them just because they're not woke you are no different than them.

Single-player games do not require microtransactions..
and hopefully all single player games are not peppered with unnecessary microtransactions..

Because the introduction of MTX fundamentally changes the way the game is made. Unlock requirements will be artificially lengthened, as an example, to "encourage" the use of MTX. The game will employ reverse psychology to make the MTX more appealing. Elements of the game, like cosmetics, will be locked behind MTX.

Would it be inflammatory to state my opinion that those who don't mind microtransactions in games are the same crowd that secretly cheats at Solitaire?

I always associate micro-transactions (in single-player games) with mobile games. you know, games that don't take too long to develop and is rushed to the market. I know it's probably not fair but it sure feels like so. just look at the article, pay to get some points? in a single-player game???

I don't play much single-player RPG games, but among the few I played such as Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Cyberpunk 2077 I just don't see any appeal of paying to get some advantages in the game. I wonder what's the point of playing RPG if you implement pay to win.

Back