Cd-rom/dvd-rom problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayno20

my cd-rw drive is a sony crx-230E and dvd drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GRA-4120B my problem is for some reason the cdrw drive will read cd's and software discs fine, but will NOT burn anything when using musicmatch, nero, or even windows to burn files, music or anything to a cd. My dvd burner is what i use to burn music and what not with, but the problem is that any time i use the windows cd writer it comes up with an error saying the wizard could not complete the disc burn or something like that, it does that for both drives and like i said my sony cd-rw always comes up with an underrun error on musicmatch. My computer is about a year old and it just started doing this one day... what could be the problem?

I seem to remember a problem between DVD-RW or DVD-RAM burning and the built-in Windows Burner. When I had an LG DVD Writer which could burn in the DVD-RAM format, the manual advised that I would have to turn off the Windows internal burner for the format to work propperly. Seeing as DVD-RW is essentialy the same format as DVD-RAM, well the disks work the same, it might be a conflict issue between the internal CD writer and your DVD burning program. Maybe you could try turning the internal Windows CD writer off?

Buffer underrun's to my knowledge are usually caused when the pc is under too much load. Did you recently install anything new?
Check your Processes and see if anything is using a large amount of memory and if there is maybe try closing that process. I think something like a virus scan could cause that error as they require lot's of memory.

well, it doesnt just do it for the dvd burner it does it for the cd burner too, and no i havent installed anything new and the pc's processor is never at more than like 20% while im burning... i really dont know what else it could be

If that conflict does exist, which I think it could then it would also cause problems with your CD writer.

Nevermind the CPU, I was talking about memory, your virtual memory is rather slow and if you don't have enough ram this might cause problems. Let's just say that all your normal processes take up all your ram cuz I don't know how much you have, then the burning software would be forced to use the slower virtual memory. Now if that data takes to long in coming from the virtual memory the program may go into buffer underrun as it has burned all the data it had.

These are complete guesses. I am just throwing ideas at you so that you or someone else might suddenly think of something. They seem logical to me however.

well i have a gig of ram, and a 3.0 GHZ processor with HT, so i dont think thats it... but the cd writer portion of the sony drive wont work, but it WILL read cd's

im not really worried about the windows burning thing too much...., but i keep getting an underrun error with my cd-rw, its pretty new, but do u think its crapped out on me or what? should i just buy a new one? the only thing is it reads cd's fine, it just wont burn them without giving me the underrun error, but my dvd burner will burn cds fine :mad:

Hello Techspot members. I am following this thread with graet anticipation as I have exactly the same problem with no solution

i am semi convinced its my cd burner.. i am going to buy a new one as soon as i can and hopefully that will fix it

Hi jayno20
I have had exactly the same problems you have had and I have managed to "fix" this by uninstalling the application accelerator software supplied with my mother board. I think my problem is related to running Nero ( I have version7) alongside application accelerator. I think that you can only run one or the other because they are both trying to tell the CD/DVD writers at what optimum speed and settings to run. Nero 7 also has a nifty little utility that diagnoses and informs you of all your drive settings. I am no computer bof, so I cannot be 100% sure if my explanation is correct, what I do know though, is it has sorted my problem out. Just by the way though, I know this may sound stupid, but are you sure that you have the correct jumper settings on the writers? Make sure of this first. I hope this helps and maybe one of the more experienced members may be able to shed some light on this mysterious occurrence and why it happens.
Regards
peterd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back