CD-Rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am having a problem with my CD-Rom. The rom is set on primary slave. The cd-rom detected my windows cd the first time, but it didn't after I had to shut it down. The bios detects it too so I'm not sure what's going on with it. I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard which I just finished building my computer with. If anyone knows how I can fix this, Please let me know. Thanks!

Camila

Check that the cables are properly seated at all connections, I'm assuming since you have it on the primary channel as slave the connectiions are on the cd drive, the hd and the motherboard. The next thing to do is to ensure the jumpers on the hard drive and the cd drive are correct. Another thing is the power connector, but it should be pretty obvious if that came loose.

Is it not finding the drive when windows setup boots off the hard drive and then looks for the cd drive for the rest of the information? If that is the case is windows seeing the drive, just not finding the files it wants?

Hi, I am using a Sata2 hard drive so only the CD-Rom is on Primary Slave. However, it read the CD before, but now doesn't read any cds I put in. I tried with another CD that I knew for sure would boot up even though I have no windows on it, and it still didn't work. I only have a CD-Rom, Sata2 hard drive, and a floppy drive. I checked the connectors with the cd-rom, I even changed to another connector I had and it still does the same thing, detects it in Bios, but doesn't get the CD going. Anymore help is appreciated. Thanks!

Camila

setup should be like this

IDE1: Master = CD-ROm Slave = Empty (put CD or DVD+Rw later)
IDE2: Master = HDD Slave = Empty (put HDD later)
ID0: Floppy Drive

Set your boot sequence to Floppy - CD-Rom - HDD

Try another CD-Rom drive if all else fails.

Some people (benken) still fail to wrap their minds around the concept of SATA hard drives..

So Windows actually shows you the CD-ROM drive, but doesn't recognise any discs?
Or Windows doesn't even know there's an optical drive around?

Have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard?

Try uninstalling the CD-ROM device (if present) and the IDE controllers in Device Manager and letting Windows redetect them after a reboot.

You wouldn't be using some kind of compact case would you? If so and Nodsu's suggestion doesn't help, you might check your IDE cable for (I'm not kidding here, I've seen it happen; to 150 machines in a batch of 300) cuts. It may be that you've caught it between two bits of case and partially severed it, simultaneously shorting it a little.
I don't want to offend you by the suggestion, but you're not using a cable select cable are you?

I have also run into hard drives and cdroms that will work on a standard 40 wire ide cable (ide 33) but wont work on a standard 80 pin (ultra 66\100) cable and vice versa.
If using an 80 pin (ultra 66\100) cable then you have to make sure you have the cdrom connected in the right place. It matters with these 80 pin cables but with a 40 pin (ide 33) cable you can attach the cdrom on either connector on that cable.

Lekki_Sheep makes a good point about the cable having a very small rip or tear. I have a small bag of bad ide connectors that i show some people who dont believe me. Some of these cables are bad and you can see why, with others you simply cant see where the break is, but there is a break inside and the outside grey plastic looks perfect.
When troubleshooting its best to swap ide cables for known good ones if you have extra cables around.

Yea, get the basics out of the way first. That way you don't get egg on your face after a long diagnosis when you realise you've missed something simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back