Celeron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new to computers and I want to know how I can speed up my computer. I have a celeron 63 MB Ram, my hard drive is 9 GB right now I already used up to 4.5 GB.

How can I speed it up? I have problems when I use the internet most of the time, when I type something I wont see the letters for 2 to 5 seconds. It is worst when I am writing email in yahoo. And also when I turn my computer on it takes a while to boot.

Please help me.

Mary Grace.

Adding more memory will definitely be a start.

Your computer undoubtedly takes PC-66 (which is very hard to find these days), but in most cases, PC-100 will work fine (which is also getting harder to find).

What I might try is going to www.crucial.com and checking out their "memory configurator". If you follow the questions (brand and model of your computer), it will tell you what type of memory your computer takes. Also, it will list how much total you can add and you may also buy the suggested memory modules.

Crucial is an excellent company to order from, so you should feel comfortable purchasing memory there. They even send you instructions on how to install the memory and it really isn't that difficult, depending on your computer.

There are also many VERY common software problems which can cause this kind of behavior. While adding memory will greatly increase your performance, if your computer has software problems, it may not help as much.

There's a good chance you have a lot of programs unnecesarily loaded on Windows startup, as well as spyware/adware and possibly even viruses.

Before you add memory, I suggest running spybot or ad-aware ( www.safer-networking.org / www.ad-aware.com ). Make sure you update the programs using their update features, before running the scan. These programs will search for and remove most spyware / adware which may be causing slow performance (amongst other problems).

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Have you ever thought that applications can be slow too? If you're using a new operating system with fancy graphics, it's no wonder it is slow.

A cell phone is more of a comptuter than that thing.

66Mhz is hopeless.

It might qualify as a museum piece.

Good Luck finding any parts for it.

I believe Rick meant that the FSB was 66 MHz. Yes, that's pretty old, but PC100 "should" work in that machine and be a bit easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back