Challenge to members here on TS

holdum323

Capture26.JPG Hi. I don't know how good this thread will go over, but thought I would give it a shot. I just installed the W10 Oct 17 build on my PC. All my old restore to a earlier time were deleted, and also my Reliability Monitor has been cleaned up and reset by MS, and so I'm starting out new again. Here's my challenge. I'm a big fan of the Reliability Monitor. It's a lot easier for me to follow then the Event Viewer. Here's my screen shot. My challenge to members here on TS is to have a better Reliability Monitor then mine. I'll post more screen shots in the future and I promise to be honest. I'm shooting for a 10. I may not get there, but I'm hoping mine is better then yours.;)

Very interesting. Take the lead and show how to access the Reliability Monitor...

My laptops getting old and so are my kid's computers (Most of them are out of the house)

I’ve decided to build this pc that sits in the basement and I don't have to tend to it very often.
I want to set this pc up so that my kids or myself can log into at any time. “I'll just call it an External computer”

The way I would like it to operate is:
We are still able to login to our old laptops but instead of using our old laptops memory, processes and hard drives we're about to use the newer higher powered external computer.

Log in to it somehow like VPN, Remote Desktop, Create a website for log in virtual pc. I'm never really had much luck with using a virtual pc or desktop, but that was a number of years back.

I've decided to build a pc with the parts below. I started out just looking to add an external hard drive but ended up trying some and I really need some input and guidance.

Base OS and Applications
  1. Microsoft Office 356 Pro
  2. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Can this be down?

• Will each user has their own profile?
  • Will I need to buy additional operating systems?
  • Sharing software?
  • Should I partition the drive into 4 sections? At times, I like to remain anonymous

• AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
  • ARCTIC - Alpine 64 GT 25.6 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
  • Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
  • Toshiba - X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Gigabyte - GeForce GT 610 2GB Video Card
  • Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
  • Asus - Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
  • Intel - E1G42ETBLK PCI-Express x4 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter
  • Asus - USB-AC56 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
  • Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan
  • Kingwin - FPX-001 Fan Controller
  • CyberPower - AVRG750U UPS

1. Microsoft Office 356 Pro
  2. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

forgot the Thermal Paste. but I'll pick some up

What am I missing or need to add

Hi. @jobeard . Nice! Looking good.What was your error?? Here's link by HTG. Not every error is some thing to worry about, but they can some times lead you to solve a problem your having. Just like Event Viewer, not every error needs immediate attention. It's been around a long time, but you don't hear it mentioned very often. I think it's a a good; not great, tool.
Thanks for your reply.
https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

Hi @Chaser . You are above my pay grade; but you come to the right place. I'm sure someone here will have lots of good suggestions for you. Just be patient and I'm sure you will get a reply soon.;)

My laptops getting old and so are my kid's computers (Most of them are out of the house)

I’ve decided to build this pc that sits in the basement and I don't have to tend to it very often.
I want to set this pc up so that my kids or myself can log into at any time. “I'll just call it an External computer”

The way I would like it to operate is:

This is Off-Topic for this thread - - suggest you repost this information in a topic that you create.

Screenshot 2017-10-29 10.53.47.png
I don't spend as much time on my PC as I used to. After a week or so of coming home and seeing my PC had rebooted I looked into it. Initial indications were it was experiencing power issues that pointed to faulty PSU. However I had a strong intuition that that was NOT the true cause. After some further digging and critical thinking I discovered that for whatever reason my computer had been hibernating and then having issues recovering from that. Reset the settings to never power down to a hibernation state and it has been rock solid again.

Hi. @SNGX1275 . Thanks for your reply. That will help other members with that issue.
How do I hibernate Windows 10?
If your Start menu in Windows 10 does not contain the Hibernate option, you need to do the following:
  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Go to the following item: Hardware and Sound\Power Options.
  3. On the left, click "Choose what the power buttons do":
  4. Click the Change Settings that are currently unavailable link.

Hi. @SNGX1275 . Thanks for your reply. That will help other members with that issue.
How do I hibernate Windows 10?

Create a BAT file on the desktop:
  • right-click the desktop
  • ->new TXT file
  • insert the single line
    • %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
  • save as Hibernate.bat.txt
now rename that file by removing the trailing .TXT
the system will sanity check your choice and you need to confirm the change.

Anytime you want, just dbl-click on Hibername.bat

Hi! Here's my Reliability Monitor. In one day I'll have a perfect ten. I can't wait any longer, so I'm posting it now. I like to have a little fun here on TS. If you can beat me, please attach your Reliability Monitor. I have a well oiled and well maintained PC and I like tooting my own horn. I hate being told I'm off topic.:eek::D Why not loosen up a little and make TS forum a fun thing? I'm here to learn new things and pass forward things I have learned from others.
PS I really hate being told I'm off topic.;):p
Capture26.JPG

Mine---

screenshot_13.jpg

Hi Here's my latest Reliability Monitor I've had a few hiccups, but I think I'm in control now and all is cool. The Reliability Monitor can help you; if watch it, and stay on top of the issues before they become major problems. I'm aware of all the errors and all is good.(y)

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 0
Hi WOW!
1,7736 Views to this thread is more then I ever dreamed would happen here on TS. I'm a happy camper tonight .The Reliability Monitor Is a great tool IMHO. Give it a look. It's free. What do you have to lose? Show me yours .Lets see how your PC is performing. W10 will only get better in the future IMHO; so hang in there my friend, and hopefully MS will some day get it all together and give us the kind of OS we dreamed of. I'm counting on you MS. Don't let us down!

Last edited:
Back