TechSpot

Change default encoding from Unicode

By dotVezz
May 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone. You can read this long, detailed explanation or you can read the simplified bullets. I hope you'll be able to get all the information you need either way.

I have a Windows 7 PC, and I have some Korean software that I want to use, but it doesn't work (well) with default UTF-8 or any other Unicode encoding (as far as I know). I seem to recall Windows XP having a way to change the default encoding, but I can't find anything like that in Win7.

With the standard IME, I can type Hangul without any issues at all, and some Korean programs (with unicode support) work, but many (Localized) programs don't.

Problem:
    * Korean software is funky in unicode (Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3bonQ.png)

My syetem:
    * Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

Perhaps try changing System Locale to Korean? In Control Panel, click on Region & Language. Then select Administrate tab. You'll see the button Change System Locale. Take a look at this FAQ: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688174

3rd from the bottom is about System Locale.

3. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 111

Oddly, that didn't do anything. Although it really seems like it should...

4. Rabbit01

Did some research. Looks like you need to have the Korean Language Pack installed. The thing is that's available as an optional update for Enterprise & Ultimate, not Home Premium, which is what you have. Google Korean Language Pack Windows 7 64 bit, 4th link from the top, wincert.net has direct links to download.windowsupdate.com. Plus instructions.

5. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 111

Well that's unfortunate. Thanks.

6. Rabbit01