TechSpot

Changing Group Domain On Win2000 Server

By yukka
Nov 3, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have a problem with a win98 pc connecting to a win2000 server network.

i want to network a printer attached to the win98 pc so all other network pcs can use it.

problem is when i go into access control and change the user-level access control to the appropriate name server (has to be done before i can change the name of the printer and set permisions), it resets on logon to the original server.

i cant find the setting to change it for all groups on the windows2000 server, seems like the obvious places are all correct.

any help would be great :) thanks

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

ah man! I remember that problem! I can't remember what you do!

for what its worth, win9x networking tends to fix itself when you remove all of the important components (client for microsoft networks, TCP/IP, etc) and then add them back in again.

3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 721   +30

not a bad suggestion, i'll give it a try.

if that doesnt work, i have to find the policy file on the server that resets the domain every login.

or something like that :)

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

see if you can get hold of poledit for win9x.

5. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 721   +30

finally, used poledit but discovered that the main policy file was corrupt (could be opened in ultraedit, but not using the normal win2k utility).

made a new policy entirely, and now its all fine :)

thanks for the help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.