Changing IP address

E

ebaysucks

Brighthouse "insists" there is no way to change IP address! lol
There must be!! I go to "start" , Run....."command"
Type in "IPCONFIG/ALL
Brighthouse tells me, you have to wait 24 hrs until "lease expires".
Anyone know of a way to change IP on the fly??
Thanks

WAN & LAN ip address assignments

hmm; there's a lack of understand for IP addresses.

For every system with an ISP connection, there are at least two IP addresses
  1. The WAN address (Wide Area Network) which is public and frequently pingable
  2. and the LAN address (Local Area Network) which is private and not visible nor pingable from the Internet side.
The LAN address is what you see with IPCONFIG /ALL. If you have a Router which allows several systems to share your ISP service, then the Router assigns the system IP address (using DHCP),
(A) the subnet mask, dns addresses and makes the Gateway address that of the Router's lan address.​

If your modem has a builtin router, then your LAN address is also private but with only one physical port, you get only one system attached (ignoring WiFi for the moment).

(2) above are called the non-routing, private addresses and are only
  • 192.168.x.y
  • 172.16.x.y
  • 10.x.y.z
and you control what the LAN side settings will be; egro you can change them easily.

The (1) WAN side belongs to your ISP and there DHCP service will make the assignments just like (A) above.
Frequently the WAN address is not directly visible so we revert to something like http://checkip.dyndns.org/ to find it.

If you use certain Modems w/o the router feature (most frequently ADSL users), then
you may actually see the WAN side address.

As (1) belongs to the ISP, and if you have not purchase a domain-name (which has a unique public ip address),
then nothing on your system will give you a knob to tweek the WAN side address.

IPCONFIG /Release & /Renew?
This is the correct concept, but it only goes as far as your LAN side router assignments - -
and will not address the WAN side public assignment.
For those attempting to fight with an ADMIN from the ISP on a banning restriction, it's the WAN address that gets restricted; not the LAN address.

If you have a router, you might try using the settings in that configuration to force a /Release, /Renew cycle - - usually ineffective.
WHY? Every device on the Internet has a hardware MAC address, and many times the ISP will keep a table of subscriber's MAC address' - -
this is known as hardware provisioning.

The router attempt at /Release, /Renew usually fails because
1) the ISP knows the MAC of your modem/router and
2) has set a time interval which keeps your Mac->IP assignment​

Yes, you can power-off the modem, wait and then power-on - - but how long must you wait for a new MAC-IP assignment?
Got some news even if you wait long enough; If no one else has made a new assignment,
when you attempt the /Renew you just get back the same IP that you attempted to abandon :)

Ergo: Do everything in your power to be a good Internet Citizen and avoid the problem altogether :wave:

Been awhile since i last tried it but: I've tried changing my IP adress twice. And i changed it both times. (Tho last time i tried was couple years back)

However, i could see how "your mileage may vary" based on your ISP, how long an address "lease time" they assign, and how long you have left on your lease

But in any case is at least easy to try: Turn off your modem and leave it off over night.

You'll also find this explained here
What is an IP address lease time?

An IP lease time is the amount of time your ISP determines you’ll be assigned a particular IP. Some IP lease times could be just a couple of hours, where some are set to a few days, and other IP lease times could be set for as long as a year or more. This setting is completely up to your ISP.

One of the easier methods to change your IP address is to turn off your modem/router/computer overnight. Then turn it back on the following morning. This method WILL NOT work if your ISP has a long lease time set for your IP.

The following method will ONLY work if your computer is being assigned your external IP and not a router.

Update
Just for the heck of it (and since we've been talking about it). I tried one more time last night (modem was off for 8 hours). However, iI did not work this time. Indeed, I still have the same IP

and (fyi.... I currently have a 7 day lease, and I have about 6 days left)

Yea, it's a real Cra* shoot and the lease time (which I left out) just complicates the understanding.
This is why I concluded
Do everything in your power to be a good Internet Citizen and avoid the problem altogether

Several ways to force a change, since the ISP is reading the router's MAC:

1) Buy another router. They're cheap. Alternate usage, or use one for a month, then the other. Unfortunately, I let one sit unused for six weeks, and it still assigned the same IP when plugged back it. But at least if you need a quick change, just power down, plug the other router in, and power back up.

2) Direct-connect puter to cable modem via Ethernet cable. This reads the puter's MAC instead ot the router's. = New IP. Sometimes, new IP every time you do this.

3) Install a USB cable modem driver, if you don't already have one. Using the USB port on the cable modem will produce yet *another* IP.

4) Have a second computer, or borrow a friend's laptop or whatever. Repeat steps 2 and 3; lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

This gives a large supply of IPs and change methods, and you'll get a different reverse DNS with each one.

This is *NOT* a moral issue for the user. It's a privacy issue for the data-miners who profile users and sell this to targeted marketing groups. No offense intended to this site. Every "free" site has to make a living. But some get out of hand.

Oh, and, Hello, Everybody!

Thanks for the info guys, I was reading while working and I did this a while back, all you need to do is clone your current routers ip address. It is very simple, there should be a setting on your current routers admin portal to "clone mac id" or "change mac address" or something like that, change it one digit or several, Save, rebout router and POOF new ip address.

Hell with that internet good citizen stuff and back to spamming the clist.

I used to be able to accomplish this by changing the MAC address on my modem and recycling the power. I would then have a new IP address. Now I can't access my MAC address.

If you need a new IP for a quick temporary reason, like posting to craigs list with multiple accounts, you can accomplish this with a cell phone that has a hot spot. Every time you turn the hot spot on, the phone picks a new IP. Then connect to that hotspot on the computer and you get a new ip.

Several ways to force a change, since the ISP is reading the router's MAC:

1) Buy another router. They're cheap. Alternate usage, or use one for a month, then the other. Unfortunately, I let one sit unused for six weeks, and it still assigned the same IP when plugged back it. But at least if you need a quick change, just power down, plug the other router in, and power back up.

2) Direct-connect puter to cable modem via Ethernet cable. This reads the puter's MAC instead ot the router's. = New IP. Sometimes, new IP every time you do this.

3) Install a USB cable modem driver, if you don't already have one. Using the USB port on the cable modem will produce yet *another* IP.

4) Have a second computer, or borrow a friend's laptop or whatever. Repeat steps 2 and 3; lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

This gives a large supply of IPs and change methods, and you'll get a different reverse DNS with each one.

This is *NOT* a moral issue for the user. It's a privacy issue for the data-miners who profile users and sell this to targeted marketing groups. No offense intended to this site. Every "free" site has to make a living. But some get out of hand.

Oh, and, Hello, Everybody!
" (1) Buy another router. They're cheap. )", Define cheap.

Back