Check memory type 9800Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilup

Hi all, I have a PowerColor 9800Pro 256MB
and would like to know how to check what memory type I have but all memory is covered by heat sinks.
I have taken the card out and inspected it and recorded all numbers on it.
I see that it has two S/N's
I quess one for the Radeon 9800Pro 256 XR98-D3
and one for the PowerColor
is there a way to cross reference the numbers to check what memory is installed?
No product information manual online for the 9800Pro yet.

Look on the actual RAM itslef.....it will have a pretty long number. What are the last 2 digits?

If it's Samsung, then:

2A = 2.86

30 = 3.0

33 = 3.3

And if it's Infineon:

30 = 3.3

33 = 3.3

Even the Samsung 3.3 is working for nearlyt everyone over stock R9800PRO speeds (With a BIOS Flsah), but the Infineon seems barley able to surpass it's rating, ie 3.3 around 303mhz, 3.3 around 333mhz, but usually a little less than that:(

Hope you have the Samsung:grinthumb

Does it really matter?

If you are going to overclock, then you're going to have to do it gradually, and results will vary, regardless of memory type. The memory type is DDR2 SDRAM, same as for all 256MB versions of this card. The card is plenty fast even without overclocking, so why bother? It will shorten the life of your card.

memory type

I have heat sinks covering the memory chips,
from what I have been reading the PowerColor Radeon 9800Pro256MB has Samsung 2.8 ns but I wanted to check for ha ha's as I know the card is plenty fast already, just curious if I could check by part or S/N.
I don't plan to overclock (yet)

OOOPS. I didn't even notice you said in yor original post you had the 256 meg. version...

That's samsungs DDR2, not DDR, and it is indeed 2.2ns.....Nice card you have there..

For questions about it, I'd suggest Rage3d.com..check there forums, and go to the tweakiers and overlcocking section.....not too many 256meg R9800PROS out there....enjoy:)

Thanks for the info .
It is hard to find a PowerColor 9800 Pro 256MB right now as where I purchased it no longer has it availible.
They are comming out with the 9800SE that is only half the card so grab the good ones while you can.
2.2 ns is not too shabby.
the card rocks big time.

Radeon 9800 pro

Nice site with plenty of info on the Radeons.
I see that there is no PowrColor Radeon 9800Pro 256MB listed must be a collectors item already.
It took 3 months and 2 RMA's, Have it running in my master system. Ocasional startup corruption still but after power down and restart it's fine. Also when updating video drivers sometimes get corruption but after ironing the drivers out it's fine.
Picky
I am today building a second system for myself that I can twist turn and crank and leave my master alone.
I have a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that I have modified with a Zalman Heat Pipe cooler (ZM80C-HP and also have the optional 80MM Zalman fan attached.
I first ran the Zalman on my aging G4Ti4400 for practice and was able to really crank the G4 up. I since have it installed on the new Radeon but have not powered it as I am now building the new system. I know the Radeon worked before hand as I had RMA'd it to seller for corruption and white spots after running for short period. He stated that the fan wire was tangled in the fan and had tested for hours and sent the 3Dmark sheet used for testing.
Well I hope he's not kidding but I believe him. Stock cooling is not good.
I will use your site for some overclocking tips. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back