China bans purchase of Intel and AMD processors, Microsoft Windows for government computers

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? China has introduced new guidelines that will phase out US processors and software from its government computers and servers. The rules mean that CPUs from Intel and AMD, along with Microsoft Windows and foreign-made database software, will be replaced with homegrown alternatives.

The guidelines, unveiled on December 26, are now being enforced, writes the Financial Times. They order government agencies above the township level to include criteria requiring "safe and reliable" processors and operating systems when making purchases.

The China Information Technology Security Evaluation Center published a list of these safe and reliable products. The CPUs all come from Chinese companies, including Huawei and Phytium, and cover a mixture of x86, Arm, and homegrown architectures.

China has spent years trying to move away from its reliance on overseas technologies in favor of domestic products. Its Made in China 2025 policy goals include dropping its image as the world's factory and becoming a global technology powerhouse in its own right.

China was Intel's largest market last year, accounting for 27% of Team Blue's $54 billion in sales. The Asian nation also generated $23 billion for AMD, representing 15% of its sales. The restrictions will have less of an impact on Microsoft, which counts on China for about 1.5% of its revenues.

The move to prohibit US CPUs in government agencies comes amid increasing tensions between Beijing and Washington. The American government has been restricting China's ability to produce its own advanced chips for years. More recently, advanced AI products from Nvidia have been banned from export to China, leading to the company creating less powerful, China-specific alternatives.

In some ways, the US is mirroring China by lessening its reliance on the country and Taiwan for its semiconductors through the CHIPS Act, which provides $52 billion in subsidies for companies to move manufacturing back to the US. Intel was recently awarded the CHIPS Act's largest sum to date: $8.5 billion in funding, along with $11 billion in loans and a 25% investment tax credit on up to $100 billion of capital investments.

It's not just foreign CPUs and software China wants out of its government buildings. In September, Apple's shares fell 9% following news that China was expanding its ban on the use of iPhones in certain government offices.

Permalink to story.

I think the most appropriate words are slow and incompatible, but that's what we have. The Chinese government is digging its own grave, stirring up hatred within its own people, and no one wants to be forced to spend their precious time completely relearning how to do their job.

Finally, it's not financially relevant for either intel or AMD. The government doesn't change hardware very often, so it doesn't represent a significant buyer.

Good. Less sweat shops in China and less garbage I have to worry about coming from them. Good riddance. More jobs for the United States if they'll pay for the infrastructure and employees. Wait it'll just be outsourced to another country nevermind.

Good. Less sweat shops in China and less garbage I have to worry about coming from them. Good riddance. More jobs for the United States if they'll pay for the infrastructure and employees. Wait it'll just be outsourced to another country nevermind. Yes I know our government is giving money for businesses to move back to America but it's not worth talking about yet or else this article wouldn't exist.

Ι wonder how many years it will be before China feels confident they can win a war vs the USA and finally move to annex Taiwan.

They seem to be making consistent and calculated moves towards that.

The words of Gen. Ulysses Grant always come in mind when I think of China. "War is like Winter. It's always coming."

It shows clearly China is going to get independent from any external tech, which is less safe really than keep them part of the market. Seems like trade limits actually push them to make bigger technology gains in a very short time. 5 years ago their cpus were just bad, now they are getting better, in 10 years we will be buying chinese cpus to get better performance...
this doesn't go as intended.

It shows clearly China is going to get independent from any external tech, which is less safe really than keep them part of the market. Seems like trade limits actually push them to make bigger technology gains in a very short time. 5 years ago their cpus were just bad, now they are getting better, in 10 years we will be buying chinese cpus to get better performance...
this doesn't go as intended.
Talk about yourself.

Invading Taiwan is considered to be more difficult to pull off than D-Day, they may be thinking twice given the difficulty Russia has had vs NATO.
150,000 troops participated in D-Day. China has two million troops, and has already unveiled a plan to requisition more than 2,500 large civilian ships to supplement an amphibious assault. Furthermore, China has several thousand short-range ballistic missiles targeted on Taiwan: a weapon that didn't even exist during D-Day.

150,000 troops participated in D-Day. China has two million troops, and has already unveiled a plan to requisition more than 2,500 large civilian ships to supplement an amphibious assault. Furthermore, China has several thousand short-range ballistic missiles targeted on Taiwan: a weapon that didn't even exist during D-Day.
Having large numbers sounds great until you factor in logistics.

As predicted, the thread is FULL of cope and seethe over China doing the same thing America did to hauwei network equipment. People act like China is the only country that spies on people. Remember the privacy nightmare that is the ARM processor found in all modern CPUs?

Just imagine the meltdown that will arrive when China surpasses America in economic power.
I think the most appropriate words are slow and incompatible, but that's what we have. The Chinese government is digging its own grave, stirring up hatred within its own people, and no one wants to be forced to spend their precious time completely relearning how to do their job.

Finally, it's not financially relevant for either intel or AMD. The government doesn't change hardware very often, so it doesn't represent a significant buyer.
So the exact same thing America does?
What a worthless website. I edit my post and it created a new one with quoted text and theres no way to delete a post and this article isnt showing up in my posts in my profile. wheres the delete button bro? garbage. was this website created in china? I said edit not reply. work this time
Git gud? You managed to delete one of the brackets when you edited the comment, not the websites fault.

As predicted, the thread is FULL of cope and seethe over China doing the same thing America did to hauwei network equipment. People act like China is the only country that spies on people. Remember the privacy nightmare that is the ARM processor found in all modern CPUs?

Just imagine the meltdown that will arrive when China surpasses America in economic power.

So the exact same thing America does?

Git gud? You managed to delete one of the brackets when you edited the comment, not the websites fault.
Of course, evil USA, isn't it? Wanting to protect its people and IP from an autocracy that encourages and protects those who steal technology from other countries, finances the main enemies of the free world and practically all the wars going on today. God, how dare we?

Talking about the US and China on equal terms is insanity.

NATO is a monster of a force, only reason that they aren't fighting Russia is that Putin threaten NATO countries with nukes.
I doubt they want to fight Russia at all. Proof: they happily kept business with Russia after it already broke multiple international laws signed by official Russian presidents in the past and occupied neighbors' lands. Putin's threats have little effect because first of all, they do not intent to fight Russia now. And second, if Putin actually attacks one of the NATO countries, it would be a suicide not to do a devastating strike back. He uses nuke threats not because he is afraid of NATO attacking Russia but much more likely because it worked in the past when he was occupying one area after another. I remember his almost hysteric announcements regarding readiness of his nuke force at the beginning of the war. He definitely hoped it would convince Ukraine's allies not to help with weapons. He thought he can keep gathering "torn off" lands like tsars before him while using nuke threats to keep anyone away from helping the victims. Well, did not, and it is very good.

I doubt they want to fight Russia at all. Proof: they happily kept business with Russia after it already broke multiple international laws signed by official Russian presidents in the past and occupied neighbors' lands. Putin's threats have little effect because first of all, they do not intent to fight Russia now. And second, if Putin actually attacks one of the NATO countries, it would be a suicide not to do a devastating strike back. He uses nuke threats not because he is afraid of NATO attacking Russia but much more likely because it worked in the past when he was occupying one area after another. I remember his almost hysteric announcements regarding readiness of his nuke force at the beginning of the war. He definitely hoped it would convince Ukraine's allies not to help with weapons. He thought he can keep gathering "torn off" lands like tsars before him while using nuke threats to keep anyone away from helping the victims. Well, did not, and it is very good.
I disagree. Putin is near insane and would do anything to keep his grip on power.

I disagree. Putin is near insane and would do anything to keep his grip on power.
That I don't doubt. I only pointed out that fighting Russia is the last thing NATO wants to.
When USSR, one of the most cannibalistic regimes fell apart, Europeans were more than friendly toward Russia, forgetting disagreements and boosting its economy to the heights unknown before.
NATO wants nothing to do with Russia, even after its officials openly threatened NATO's Baltic countries multiple times.
They do not want to fight, but they would have to if Putin pushes further in his insane quest

That I don't doubt. I only pointed out that fighting Russia is the last thing NATO wants to.
When USSR, one of the most cannibalistic regimes fell apart, Europeans were more than friendly toward Russia, forgetting disagreements and boosting its economy to the heights unknown before.
NATO wants nothing to do with Russia, even after its officials openly threatened NATO's Baltic countries multiple times.
They do not want to fight, but they would have to if Putin pushes further in his insane quest
Well let's clarify something, the EU is not NATO. NATO is a military force made up of countries all over the world. When we(the world) broke up the USSR we had a humanitarian crisis and most Russian citizens still don't support Russia. However, after dismantling the USSR it was thought that we would be able to at best, create a pro-western nation and at worst, create a puppet state that we could exploit for resources. So the bolstering of their economy you're talking about was really us just exploiting them for resources through capitalism.

Back