TechSpot

China completes work on 500-meter telescope designed to search for alien life

By midian182
Jul 5, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. China has finished work on the world’s largest single-aperture telescope. The Five Hundred Meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) will search for extraterrestrial life and be used to explore the universe when it starts operations in September.

"The project has the potential to search for more strange objects to better understand the origin of the universe and boost the global hunt for extraterrestrial life," Zheng Xiaonian, deputy head of the National Astronomical Observation under the Chinese Academy Sciences, told Xinhua news agency.

The last of FAST’s 4450 panels were fitted over the weekend, completing five years of work that cost a total of $180 million. Its 500-meter width – the size of 30 soccer fields - makes it nearly twice the size of Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory, and it will be ten times more sensitive than the steerable 100-meter telescope in Germany.

The Chinese media reports that over 9000 residents living within a 5km distance of the telescope were relocated to nearby settlements to ensure there’ll be no magnetic interference. Each person will reportedly be paid 12,000 yuan (around $1838) – about an average year’s wage in the area - with extra money going to those from ethnic minorities.

In its first two or three years of operation, FAST will undergo further adjustment, during which time it will be used for early-stage research. Once this is complete, its functions will be opened up to scientists from across the world.

In addition to searching for aliens, FAST will be used for surveying natural hydrogen in distant galaxies, and to detect faint pulsars and gravitational waves.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

So the first aliens to visit us will be speaking Chinese.

Right...

If it goes bust, they can rent it to a telecom company as a broadband dish. It will be a fast one.

PoisonHeadcrab and wastedkill like this.
  3. mcborge

mcborge TS Maniac Posts: 211   +121

That's no telescope... it's a panda trap... once they fall into the dish they cant get out... that's one hell of piece of kit though.

Reehahs, wastedkill and stewi0001 like this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

I sure hope they don't announce the discovery of E.T. via social media - we'll never even know about it.

wastedkill likes this.
  5. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

Nobody seems to care but it's a radio-telescope not an optical one.

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +790

Well, it is an impressive achievement, but pails when you consider how many starving Chinese could have been fed with all that money.

wastedkill likes this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Enough to align the dish by hand, and they will, to make a living.

wastedkill likes this.
  8. shooi dan tom

shooi dan tom TS Rookie

We have sent starving Chinese to Europe and US.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,706   +1,887

This is something we here in the USA used to do, way back when we had more money than brains...*nerd*(y)

namesrejected likes this.
  10. namesrejected

namesrejected TS Booster Posts: 105   +49

BWA HA HA!!! You think we have brains now? How bad was it back then?

11. namesrejected

DoH! China! You don't have to look to the stars for signs of ET. Just look at social media, clearly, some of the "people" there are not...."people".

12. atcapistrano

atcapistrano TS Member Posts: 30

Meanwhile, china already completed its spy network to steal IP rights. ;)

13. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

*facepalm*
    No. We have no money...

Am I the only one who just sees a Battlefield 4 map?

14. captaincranky

We'll know there's aliens in the galaxy when they blow up the White House.

Uh, huh, I saw it in the documentary film, "Independence Day".

15. captaincranky

No, I see a plot of land where Foxconn could have built another iPhone factory. Thereby shi**ing up American society with the damned things, more than it already has been.

16. ManuelV

ManuelV TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +26

"Realocated"

17. namesrejected

Hmmm.... I wonder if our military gets its ammo from China.

" Seize fire! Seize fire! Yall haven't shipped us more crappy ammo that jams the guns you sent us "

18. namesrejected

I think we are all wrong on what China is actually building. It looks like a giant wok to me, maybe they are going to feed all the starving people of the world.

captaincranky likes this.
  19. captaincranky

Well one thing's for sure, the takeout will be cold as ice if it's got to come all the way from there...:oops:

Oddly, I thought the "wok", was a Japanese thing. Jus' shows ta go ya, how culturally stunted the failing American school system has left us! (Er, I mean me. Sorry).

20. namesrejected

*nerd* I was top of my class too! *nerd*

Maybe the Chinese chose to make a wok because they have always been such good friends with the Japanese ;)

21. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

The wok is Chinese, man did no one here ever watch "Wok with Yan" on TV? It was on the CBC tho.......

22. DAOWAce

DAOWAce TS Booster Posts: 249   +30

Can't tell if you're making a pun or spelled cease wrong.

23. Jack007

Jack007 TS Booster Posts: 161   +34

With this array I would definately get to find out whats out there. aliens do exist but they are too far away or maybe they just avoiding us

24. PrimateGod

PrimateGod TS Rookie

That tele-ear won't be finished until it's painted yellow with a smiley face and 2 big teeth