China grants its first video game license since July

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? China's months-long pause on granting video game licenses has ended after it approved XD Inc title 'Party Star' on April 8. The country's regulators had not handed over a game monetization license since July last year, just before China restricted the amount of time under-18s are allowed to play games to just one hour on Fridays, weekends, and holidays.

A document seen by Reuters shows that Party Star was granted the ISBN license required by China for developers to publish games on the mainland. It is reportedly one of a batch of titles that have received the licenses. The National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) has distributed a list of approved games to developers, and it plans to publish the names on the agency's website soon.

Bloomberg reports that other games on the list include Watch Out For Candles by Shenzhen developer iDreamSky Technology Holdings Ltd. It wasn't clear if titles from Tencent Holdings Ltd. and NetEase Inc., the country's two biggest gaming corporations, were included, but the latter's share price rose 8% on the back of the news.

Granting the license marks the end of what had become China's longest-ever freeze on approving games. It lasted longer than the nine months authorities went without green-lighting any titles in 2018, which was the result of an overhaul of regulatory bodies.

Despite its government's disdain for gaming—a 14-year ban on consoles was only lifted in 2015—China has the largest gaming market by revenue ($41 billion in 2020) and the most mobile gamers (655 million in 2021).

China has seen officials cracking down on the tech industry as a whole in recent times, especially gaming, which it called "spiritual opium." Minors could only play online games for one and a half hours on weekdays and three hours on holidays and weekends before even stricter time limits were imposed. Gaming firms promised to adhere to the rules, but the threat of further regulation plummeted Tencent and NetEase share prices.

It's not just gaming China has been clamping down on. There are concerns that it will start tightening regulations around its $30 billion streaming industry, including limiting the amount of money content creators can earn.

Permalink to story.

While American students are busy contemplating their gender - in 1st grade - and whether or not they should have a gender reassignment therapy... or deciding which bathroom they should use...or watching their report card grades shrinking...as they become less competitive on the world stage and more reliant on government...

CHINA:

#1 Banned effeminate males from TV
#2 Banned late night gaming - especially on weekends
#3 Banned any media it considers anti-China, too- violent, too-lascivious, etc

And contrary to what western media says, the Han Chinese population supports its government.

Do me a favor and walk into a Public School and tell me how many kids you see overweight, underproductive, confused or even standing for the national anthem.

Now: walk into a PRC school.

I know I'll get a lot of flack and pushback, but at the end of the day: you're $30,000,000,000,000 in debt (most of it to China) and you're gonna end up working for them or under their rules anyway.

While American students are busy contemplating their gender - in 1st grade - and whether or not they should have a gender reassignment therapy... or deciding which bathroom they should use...or watching their report card grades shrinking...as they become less competitive on the world stage and more reliant on government...

CHINA:

#2 Banned late night gaming - especially on weekends
#3 Banned any media it considers anti-China, too- violent, too-lascivious, etc

And contrary to what western media says, the Han Chinese population supports its government.

Do me a favor and walk into a Public School and tell me how many kids you see overweight, underproductive, confused or even standing for the national anthem.
It all stems from weak parenting. Government shouldn't have to do the job of parents. They want to be the "good" parents and let their children go but will toughen up once they fall on hard times.

Weak parents come from dumb students...

Americans have a ridiculous "life cycle" if you were to draw it out. Living with your damn parents till you're 40 nowadays lol
It all stems from weak parenting. Government shouldn't have to do the job of parents. They want to be the "good" parents and let their children go but will toughen up once they fall on hard times.

How do you KNOW the population of China supports its government? Anyone who doesn't disappears, so it's a pretty obvious reaction from anyone with even a modicum of self-preservation skills...

I always find it amusing that YOU, who drives a Mercedes, earns income via YouTube and brags about your 3090 GPU, speak glowingly about Russia and China... you realize you wouldn't have any of that there, right?

Now... I didn't say the West was perfect (In fact, I stated that first!), but I'll take it over the "criticize your government and disappear" any day.

Then that is the failure of the parent that their children are going down the toilet. Parents should set limits not governments.
I agree its weak parents, but devils advocate, have you sat down and read the stuff they want to teach young kids? Books describing sexual orientation and emotions aimed at kindergardners. There's a reason we dont allow sexually provacative stuff near kids, kids are impressionable, and if it was a bibile camp or religious institution handing this stuff out, it would be rightly called out for what it is: propaganda, aimed at grooming children.

Parents in districts that roll this stuff out react very harshly for a reason. It's not just parents that are resulting in these kids asking to have themselves butchered at 7.

Not that any of this justifies china's crackdown on personal freedoms.
Weak parents come from dumb students...

Americans have a ridiculous "life cycle" if you were to draw it out. Living with your damn parents till you're 40 nowadays lol
.....who wants to tell him that moving out at 18 and getting a house was a distinctly AMERICAN thing, and that in most places on earth it is common for 2 if not 3 generations of people to live int he same house?

I think you should move to China and have kids there, and then decide... Their education can be unbelievably politically radical, not for everyone...

I have an apartment in Shanghai at Guo Ding Road right near Fu Dan University.

Believe me, If I had children to raise right now, I'd absolutely rather raise them in Shanghai than NYC where stray gunshots are claiming more and more kids lives - and violence is rampant all year round.

My kids would learn Mandarin, English and be able to compete on a level the average American child couldn't.

YEs - I would.

I have an apartment in Shanghai at Guo Ding Road right near Fu Dan University.

Believe me, If I had children to raise right now, I'd absolutely rather raise them in Shanghai than NYC where stray gunshots are claiming more and more kids lives - and violence is rampant all year round.

My kids would learn Mandarin, English and be able to compete on a level the average American child couldn't.

YEs - I would.

Not every US city/state is a Liberal cesspit.

The same Shanghai that's in a dystopian lockdown right now? The U.S. has its own problems, but at least here we can talk about it!

The communists control EVERY aspect of Chinese life - I feel bad for the people. China would be a MUCH greater country if they ditched the communists and latched onto FREEDOM.

CHINA:

Physician heal thyself.

I agree its weak parents, but devils advocate, have you sat down and read the stuff they want to teach young kids? Books describing sexual orientation and emotions aimed at kindergardners. There's a reason we dont allow sexually provacative stuff near kids, kids are impressionable, and if it was a bibile camp or religious institution handing this stuff out, it would be rightly called out for what it is: propaganda, aimed at grooming children.
You don't mean the Christian Bible because that's the book that has Lot having sex with his two daughters whilst drunk, among other things (like the mass murder of small boys to spite a politician).

Instead of falling for Putin propaganda some here really need to look at the big picture. In the big picture, China suffers from extreme pollution. Not only is air pollution such a problem that large factories can burn for many hours without anyone realizing it — the soil is so bad that even the Chinese government admitted that the vast majority of it is highly polluted.

Bees and other pollinators have disappeared in some regions because of the pollution so people are hand-pollinating fruit trees, which is extremely inefficient. Instead of wanting to stop poisoning the planet, though, the mentality is to create tiny pollination robots.

This kind of extremely warped thinking is vastly vastly vastly vastly more harmful to children than sex education. Americans are extremely ignorant when it comes to sex education which makes them easy marks for the Putin-style propaganda we can see in this topic and in so many others.

The danger to the minds of kids from sex education is so low on the ranking of the harms they face in reality that it should be grounds for tarring and feathering people trying to use it as a political weapon of demagoguery. But, again, the very high level of ignorance, combined with a long sordid history of irrational repression (see Kellogg and his carbolic acid, FGM, and silver sutures) makes for easy pickings for Putin-style false reality sales. If anything, Putin learned all of these tactics from American history.

It's also the height of hypocrisy to promote an Orwellian dystopia of oppression as being an advance in morality. But, if you're most afraid of people learning about life (which all this nonsense about sex education is about, fundamentally) then it's the place for you.

Back