TechSpot

China not responsible for US "military chip" backdoor

By Shawn Knight
May 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A research paper by PhD candidate Sergei Skorobogatov at the University of Cambridge has been circulating in the media that highlights a backdoor in Microsemi/Actel ProASIC3 chips allegedly used by...

Read the whole story

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Simply put, it was a perfect pretext for China haters to cause a 'storm in a teacup'.

3. I think you can't blame them for being a little worry.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

In all fairness though, a point was raised. Using a third party to manufacture equipment essential for the security of our country may have bad consequences.

5. Archean

A 'perceived threat' (in any form) of one nation state may be a 'security necessity' for another one, so for me, it doesn't mean much if Chinese in fact do this, as I suspect many other nations do this sort of thing anyway.

6. gwailo247

I'm sure they do. But I'm an American, so I care about threats to American security. I'm sure its completely in the security interests of China to spy on us, reverse engineer our IP and put in back doors in electronics they manufacture for us, but I'm not Chinese, so I don't view those things positively. You can't be absolutely neutral forever.

7. Archean

I distinctly remember reading an article about Americans putting something similar in arms/defense system they sell to others in (probably) Jane's (I'll try to find it but it was many years ago). So it is kind of evens out amongst nation states. Beside, the fact is, a rising power is always an 'existential' threat to 'dominant empire' of any given time, so .... as they say 'everything is fair in war'.

Frankly, I do not expect US to be dominant empire beyond 10/20 years from now, in fact as soon as Chinese economy becomes the largest economy (expected to be around the end of this decade) things may start to look different. Take into perspective India's rising influence (although they want them to be counter weight to Chinese, but I don't think Indians will comply to every wish of 'others') + Brazil/SA and Russians (re-emerging from economic tatters) probably will create a 'multi-polar' world.

8. gwailo247

Like I said, you have to pick a side. And since in this particular scenario I'm more likely to be negatively impacted by Chinese meddling with US defense electronics than I am to be positively impacted, so I happen to be on the side of keeping essential things out of foreign hands.

As far as your predictions go, take your pick. There are people saying that all the economies you mentioned will not be able to take the growth and fall prey to a poor social framework (especially China, where the demographic bubble is going to cause a great surplus of young men with no women and no prospects of a job in 10-20 years). Russia may keep digging up its Siberian gold, but I see a revolution there sooner or later, you're not going to be able to keep the rabble at bay with ruble airplanes forever. And lets not factor in pandemics, global internet collapse, or whatever.

9. The great joy of outsourcing is that you don't have control over what is essentially yours..

Way to go, security is compromised and you are not sure who done it..

The irony.

10. Well that settles it then...*takes off tinfoil hat*

11. antiproduct

antiproduct TS Rookie

I bet it was the Cylons!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.