Chinese OEMs preparing $65 Windows tablets

Scorpus

Staff member

chinese oems windows tablet windows 8.1 emdoor ployer

When HP announced a $99 Windows tablet a few weeks ago, we all thought that was pretty cheap for such a device. But Chinese OEMs are always looking to undercut the competition, with several lining up to release even cheaper tablets running Windows 8.1.

Emdoor, which isn't exactly a household name, will sell you (or perhaps another company) a $65 seven-inch Windows tablet powered by an Intel Bay Trail Atom Z3735G SoC. For that low price you also get a 1024 x 600 display, 1 GB of RAM and a front-facing camera, which isn't too shabby.

Since Microsoft has begun relaxing the licensing fees on Windows 8.1, and with subsidies available from Intel to push their Bay Trail SoCs into more devices, we're starting to see Windows tablets really compete with Android tablets at extremely low price points. Whether you get a better experience from a cheap Windows device remains to be seen, but the Z3735G in this $65 tablet is no slouch.

Usually tablets from relatively unknown Chinese OEMs don't go on sale in Western nations such as the United States. However, some online resellers do tend to stock them, so if you really want a $65 Windows tablet for reading books or browsing the web, it won't be that hard to import one.

If you want something a bit higher end, PiPO will sell you an eight-inch Windows tablet with a 1280 x 800 display for $81. Alternatively, Emdoor also sells a 3G-capable 8-inch Windows tablet, which will set you back $99.

Permalink to story.

2GB. all I want. It can have the lowest res screen it can have barely any built in memory. as long as its a quad core atom, 2GB of ram, and expandable memory, I'm good. but people are cheaping out on the ram xD

2GB. all I want. It can have the lowest res screen it can have barely any built in memory. as long as its a quad core atom, 2GB of ram, and expandable memory, I'm good. but people are cheaping out on the ram xD

I've been running W8 on a netbook (Dual core Atom 1,5ghz and 1gb ram) and it's actually quite snappy -of course for light things- as long as you are clear it's an atom and it won't run autocad or resource hogs.

I've been running W8 on a netbook (Dual core Atom 1,5ghz and 1gb ram) and it's actually quite snappy -of course for light things- as long as you are clear it's an atom and it won't run autocad or resource hogs.
id mostly want the ram to play older games and older emulators and im afraid 1GB wont do that well:p

cheaping out on ram is on of those things I don't understand because of how cheap ram already is. It can also make or break performance if you don't use.
Wait what? Joke or mod

joke

cheaping out on ram is on of those things I don't understand because of how cheap ram already is. It can also make or break performance if you don't use.

Indeed ram is "cheap" -although it is more expensive now than it was a couple of months ago thanks to SSDs- but the idea behind this $70 tablets is keeping it on the cheap, adding one more gig would raise that by around $20.

If must choose between pizza or this tablet not that is the question for me.

Indeed ram is "cheap" -although it is more expensive now than it was a couple of months ago thanks to SSDs- but the idea behind this $70 tablets is keeping it on the cheap, adding one more gig would raise that by around $20.
but even the $100 HP doesnt, nor does the $120 toshiba, nor the $160 acer.

Cheap and chineese... it means only one thing: beware of lead poisoning.

I thought we went through this phase with cheap chinese android tablets. Performance was terrible, screens were terrible, and people hated android because of it. This'll get windows into more hands, but the result won't be pleasant.

I still think an IPS screen is of paramount importance in a portable. I wish my Toshiba craptop had one. Tablets with IPS screens are still going to be around $150.00. (AFAIK)

"If must choose between pizza or this tablet not that is the question for me."...You sound like Yoda with concussion.
I will take a windows tablet over android any day, though the price has put me off until now. I may spend a little more than mentioned here though as I want it to be a decent spec.

Back