Chipset problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i got my pc it didn't boot properly. I re-installed windows xp and everything worked fine. When i started installed device drivers i found that the chipset driver is what was causing the boot problem. Windows xp with service pack 1 automatically installed the right chipset drivers though so it was no problem.

Now (2 yrs later) i've tried to upgrade to service pack 2, but it puts the conflicting chipset drivers on my pc making it unable to boot. I've been to the intel website and downloaded the chipset utility to find what chipset i have and downloaded the drivers from there for that chipset. However these aren't the right drivers as it fails to boot after i installed them.

So how do i find what chipset drivers i have currently so that i can install them after I upgrade to SP2. I have some functionality in safe mode even with the bad chipset drivers so i can install the ones i have now if i can figure out which one it is.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

What mobo?

What motherboard do you have? What chipset? If you don't know, download this: http://www.starsoft.org/
It will tell you. When you click the "chipset" info, it may even tell you that your drivers need updating, and give you a link under "tips." If not, post back with info. Someone can help. (maybe even me) :angel:

re.

i found the conflicting driver, turns out service pack 2 was trying to install agp drivers for my video card, when i switched it over to standard pci-to-pci bridge it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back