Chk disk utility error, unable to download anything to help correct this

Status
Not open for further replies.
any time i try to download anything on to my computer whether from the internet or a cd i get an error that says the file or directory c:\users\ben\AppData\Local\Temp is corrupt please run chk disk utility, so i went to my computer, right clicked on my hardrive and tried to run it but it said i couldnt and asked me to schedual it for next time the computer started but then it would start up normaly and never ask me to do anything, iv tried to download virus softwear but it wont let me download anything and iv tried to remove soem other programs from my computer and it will not let me and in the bottom right corner by where the time, volume, and internet conectivity things are randomly a little yellow triangle pops up and tells me the chk disk utility thing and it wont go away, my computer is a new toshiba satellite that runs windows vista if that is important

c:\users\ben\AppData\Local\Temp

You should be able to delete the temp files. Do search in files and folders for temp files> open the folders> delete the contents.

And try this path: My Computer> Right click on Local Drive- usually C-Properties> Tools> Error Check> CHECK BOTH boxes on screen that comes up> OK> Reboot> See if that will run.

This is often (certainly not always) the result of a corrupt autochk.exe file. See here for how to run System File Checker tool and check if anything couldn't be fixed before trying chkdsk again

/********* EDIT ********/
Chkdsk can take a loooong time to run (especially if a large hard drive) so expect to give it hours of time before thinking its hanging

Does your computer have a restore disc? Would it bother you set the system back to factory defaults minus whatever documents you've added?

I only ask because lots of people never modified their computer enough to care. Personally, I've tweaked my computer so much that it would take a month to get everything back. But other people have different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back